Friday, August 31, 2018

Puffballs!

Oh, wait. Never mind. It's just some manapua. Found these on my afternoon walk and those were my thoughts as I walked up to them. I wonder what was wrong with the manapua? It has been raining heavily in the evening for the last few days; that's why I found the Lepiota/Chlorophyllum the other day. So I was not surprised to see "puffballs", though I'm not sure if Giant Puffballs grow here.
Puffballs!
Oh, wait, its just manapua.

During my mid-morning walk I found a Jackson's Chameleon! At least, that's what I think it was; it was a little flat. I am pretty sure of my identification since the 3 horns and its funky toe configuration are visible even though its head is flattened. This is an invasive species; I reported it on the 643-PEST website operated by the Hawai'i Invasive Species Council.
Jackson's Chameleon (Trioceros jacksonii).

On my morning walk, I checked out the work that the Board of Water Supply crews were doing yesterday. They are pouring concrete around the new hydrants & meter boxes that they have been installing. They have a few more to finish off on Sierra Drive but it looks like there may be more on Maunalani Circle since the metal plates are still in the road.



I also saw a crafty Kolea at the park this morning. There was a dog & a human at the far end of the field when I arrived; the Kolea was at my end of the field. I almost missed it since it was standing still, blending in with the grass even though it was a different color! Because of the angle of the sun, even with color vision, everything seemed somewhat yellowy-gray. That Kolea had nerves of steel, even with the dog running around & me walking by, it hardly moved. When it did, it was a few quick steps, then standing still to blend in again.

Dad was complaining this morning that his left hand  was hurting. I looked it over, it was red & swollen & very warm. His right hand was not. Dr. Gries looked at it this afternoon; the swelling had gone down, it was less swollen, & not very red. He said the concern would be an infection & to keep an eye on it for that.


Lunch today was Pork fried rice, Pacific vegetable mix, Tossed salad, Fresh strawberries, and Egg drop soup; my tray was missing the salad. I got Dad to eat 2 pieces of strawberry along with his liquid supplements.


My new shorts from Columbia Sportswear arrived today! Now I can get rid of those 6 pairs that are a pain to wear because I need to keep pulling them up. When I took the 1st photo, it came out an off color; the 2nd one was normal.
Not sure why the red spectrum colors came out blue.
Here are the real colors.

I took some photos of backlit clouds today for use as reference photos for artwork.


My cousin Tomiko bought a house! She got the keys today! Congratulations!
The happy homeowner! (Photo by realtor)

At 5 a.m. this morning Miriam was still a hurricane & still on a path to miss the islands; it has remained that way throughout the day. At 90 mph it is a Category 2 on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. During hurricane season I have reminders on my phone to check the Central Pacific Hurricane Center's website once a day; if there is an incoming hurricane I check 3 times a day. If I was consistently watching the news on TV, I probably wouldn't check at all; I would leave it up to the weather person to let me know when something is coming.
5 p.m.


Happy Birthday to Uncle Danny, Lillian, & Heather!

No comments:

Post a Comment