Friday, August 3, 2018

My Morning Walk

I took a series of photos to show you what my new morning walk looks like; along the way you can also see what my walk looked like before I added Maunalani Circle. I'll also show you part of the other potential addition to my walking route. I start my morning walk at the upper parking lot & turn left as I exit the driveway on to Maunalani Circle, going uphill; previously I would turn right & go downhill. I mentioned earlier that when I drove it, it did not seem like much more than half was uphill. When I walked it the 1st time it seemed like 2/3 of it was uphill. But now, looking closely at maps & my walking app data, it does look like about half of Maunalani Circle is uphill & the other portion is downhill; I guess it just felt like it was mainly uphill that 1st day!
At the driveway, looking to the left (northwesterly).
From the orange cone in the previous photo, looking uphill (northeasterly).
From the last car in the previous photo, looking uphill (southeasterly).
From the first car in the previous photo, looking uphill (easterly).
From the last car in the previous photo, looking downhill (southeasterly).
Near the last car in the previous photo, looking downhill (southerly).
From the last car in the previous photo, looking downhill (southwesterly).
From the gate in the previous photo, looking downhill (westerly)
From the cluster of orange cones in the previous photo (near Mana Place), looking downhill (westerly).
From the intersection with Lurline Drive, looking downhill (northwesterly); Sierra Drive is just past bus shelter on left. MNRC is uphill in the distance.

My normal walking route is down Sierra Drive to Maunalani Park, around the edge of the field  at the park, then back up the way I came.
At top of Sierra Dive, looking downhill (southwesterly).
From intersection with Matsonia, looking downhill (southwesterly); Wilhelmina Rise is just past road sign on the left.
From top of stairwell, looking downhill (westerly).
From end of sidewalk seen in previous photo, looking downhill (westerly); parking area to left.
From near big rock seen in previous photo, looking downhill (southerly).
From between 2nd & 3rd trees seen in previous photo, looking at field (southeasterly).
From field, looking uphill (northerly) at return route.
From near stairwell, looking uphill (westerly).
From near orange warning sign near Matsonia seen in previous photo, looking uphill (northeasterly).
From intersection of Sierra Drive & Maunalani Circle looking uphill (westerly); MNRC at end of road that is visible.





From just in front of the entrance to the upper lot, looking downhill (westerly).



The covered viewpoint where I do my cool down stretches in the morning; Leahi is barely visible.

When I met Kavita, she said she had taken a side trip along Lurline. She also said that the route along Lurline was not steep. I drove along it, I think it's relative to what she does everyday, which is walking up Wilhelmina Rise. Kavita goes from Sierra to Lurline, up to Maunalani Circle where I met her. I, on the other hand, would be going from Maunalani Circle to Lurline to Matsonia, then back to Sierra.
From the top of Wilhelmina Drive, looking downhill (southwesterly).
From the top of Lurline Drive, looking downhill (southerly). Note how much gentler the slope is.
From the top of Matsonia Dive looking downhill (southeasterly); I would be walking up this one.

A couple of interesting sights along Maunalani Circle are included below.
A colorful mailbox on Maunalani Circle, decorated with night-blooming cereus.
The Mau'umae Trail up to Lanipo Summit.

On my mid-morning walk the only thing of interest was this squashed house gecko.
Unfortunate gecko.

Lunch today was Chili with beans, Steamed rice, Coleslaw, Tossed salad, Cornbread, & Broccoli cheese soup. Dad tried only 1 bite of the cornbread. Fortunately he still likes to drink the liquid supplements. Uncle Larry sat with us for lunch today; he didn't like what they were serving so he had macaroni & cheese from his private food stash.


During my mid-afternoon walk I found a giant ice cube at the park. It looked like someone had put a bucket of water in a walk-in freezer, then dumped the ice cube out on the field. There was no one around and no other sign of what its original purpose was.
Forgot to put something near the ice cube for scale; it's about 8" in diameter & 9" to 10" in height.

This morning I did my official weekly weigh-in; I lost 3.7 pounds over the last week. Although I do not feel weak or have other ill effects from that amount of weight loss, I think that's too much for me to consistently lose in a week. And that's with eating out for 2 breakfasts, a single scoop serving of ice cream at Coldfyyre's last day of business, & 1/2 cup ice cream on each of the 2 nights after Coldfyyre closed. (We also bought 3 pints of ice cream for the house on closing night; it was 40% off, I couldn't resist!) Checking my Fitbit data, it shows I walked 27.3 miles since the last weigh-in. The previous week I walked 24.38 miles, so I walked about 3 miles more than before. Unfortunately I have not been keeping track of my caloric intake so I don't know exactly how much my diet has contributed to the weight loss. I do know I needed a nap today, so I should definitely keep it to 3 walks a day for now and only do the 1 mile night time walk if I can't do all 3 day time walks.

The Potential Most Favorite Roommate made spaghetti for dinner tonight. He uses Italian sausage in the meat sauce. It was very good!


The Potential Most Favorite Roommate belongs to a succulent-of-the-month club; he gets sent two different plants each month. This arrived today.







After dinner The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes & I went for a walk. He wanted to celebrate having lost 2 pounds this week; I'll have to pay attention again tomorrow to see if I need another nap. We passed this house on our walk. During the day it is difficult to see the beautiful stained glass window.


Happy Birthday to Greg!

No comments:

Post a Comment