Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Still a Little Under the Weather

The sore throat is gone, the runny nose is gone, but my nose is still stuffy. And I am still a little tired. I did my morning walk up at Maunalani; only saw 2 Cattle Egrets at the park. Left after that; I couldn't get in touch with the nurses station.
Cattle Egrets (Bubulcus ibis)

Once I got home, I spent time doing more paperwork while listening to a new Harry Dresden audiobook. I am now listening to Death Masks.

Hurricane Hector has crossed over into the Central Pacific. This morning it was approximately 500 miles to the east of Hawai'i Island & currently projected to pass south of the state. There is a Hurricane Watch for Hawai'i County; nothing for the island we are on.
The estimated travel cone of Hurricane Hector shows it passing south of Hawaii Island sometime on Wednesday. (Image: NOAA)
The Roommates are getting more food to be ready in case Hector takes a turn to the north, like Hurricane Iniki in 1992. Like many continental US states, the Hawai'i State Emergency Management Agency used to say have 3 days worth of water & food for every person in the household; which meant I would need a total of about 12 gallons of water for Dad, me, & the cats. After studying the local situation last year, they have revised their recommendation to be 14 days worth of water & food for each person. Which now means, for the 3 of us plus the cats, we need to have about 56 gallons of water! Right now I have 10 gallons, which was close enough to the previous recommendation; I have enough containers for about 15 more gallons of water.
Empty bottles.

I was going to fill up the remaining containers this afternoon, but discovered that my Clorox bleach has expired; yes, it expires! The Roommates are picking up new bleach on their way home tonight; I'll take care of filling up the remaining containers after dinner.

I make my bed every morning; unless I am sick & did not get out of bed. That way if I get nothing else done, I will have accomplished at least one thing for the day.
The old laptop with the Harry Dresden audiobook files is on the table next to the bed.

Happy Birthday to Jerry, Tammy, & Allison! Happy Anniversary to Bruce & Diane!

No comments:

Post a Comment