Thursday, August 30, 2018

Surinam Cherry Hedge

This morning I saw a not quite ripe Surinam cherry on the shrub that I saw the other day. Today I realized that it was part of a hedge all along the easterly edge of the property. There will be a lot of fruit in a couple months.
Surinam cherry (Eugenia uniflora).

I saw a Kolea at the park on my morning walk & also a Cattle Egret. I got to play with Mei-mei for a few minutes while Ariel went chasing after Rocco who ran off to greet another dog. Later when Ariel let Mei-mei off leash she came racing over to me for more playtime. It's nice to be appreciated! I didn't see any Kolea on my mid-morning walk. During my afternoon walk I saw another Kolea, it was hiding in the shadows near the fence, but I didn't take a photo. I figured people are getting tired of seeing blurred photos of Kolea now that it seems like they are back until their breeding migration next year.
Kolea (Pacific Golden Plover, Pluvialis fluvia).
Cattle Egret (Bubulcus ibis).

Today's lunch menu was Beef stew, Steamed rice, Garden salad, Tapioca pudding, and Cream of broccoli soup; though my tray didn't have any soup. I think they have realized that I hardly ever drink the soup. During lunch we saw a Gold Dust Day Gecko basking in the sun along the edge of the lanai.

Gold Dust Day Gecko (Phelsuma laticauda).

When I got home I checked out some of the plants in the back yard. The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes had planted 2 butterhead lettuce seedlings; they were growing well. The basil sprigs that I got to root, then later planted, were also doing well.
Butterhead lettuce (Lactuca sativa).
Sweet basil (Ocimum basilicum).

Hurricane Miriam is now a Category 1. It is heading northerly about 900 miles easterly of the Big Island. It is predicted to lose speed over the next few days as it heads north across cooler water; it should not be a problem for us.
It
5 p.m.

Happy Birthday to Wendy & cousin Yvonne! And Happy 33rd Anniversary to Pam & Gene!

No comments:

Post a Comment