Thursday, August 16, 2018

Hot Coffee! Cream & Sugar!

That is frequently Mr. Miyahira's greeting to me on the morning's that Dad eats breakfast in the Orchid Dining Room on the 2nd floor. Mr. Miyahira doesn't really know that I am not one of the staff here since I show up all the time & he sees me helping Dad. The first time he asked me, I talked to the nurse on duty & found out he can have unlimited coffee (he was already on his 4th cup that particular day) & he can have real sugar. So perhaps I have brought this upon myself that he asks me for, "Hot Coffee! Cream & Sugar!"
Mr. Miyahira's coffee cup.

During my morning walk I saw 2 Kolea! I am assuming they are separate birds due to the locations where I saw them & their behavior. The 1st one was on Maunalani Circle, shortly after I started my walk; it was near Art's house. It was initially foraging on the lawn alongside the road, but flew up to the peak of the roof & watched me from there. The 2nd one was at the park, on the opposite side from where I enter the field. As I made my way around the field it flew off. Since the Kolea are returning from their breeding grounds in Alaska this month, I should be seeing more birds. I know earlier this year there was one that I would see foraging in the lawn above the upper parking lot at Maunalani; I haven't seen any Kolea there yet. I also haven't seen the one that hangs out at the neighbor's house across the street from our house.
Kolea on the top of the roof.
Kolea by the fence, Red-Vented Bulbul in the foreground.

Dad didn't want to go to Namaste today, he just wanted to sleep so I went for my mid-morning walk while he was snoozing. After my walk I went to the 1st floor bathroom to wash the sweat off my face & change my shirt. I think I will use this option after my mid-morning walk when it is available. (The 1st floor is closed after 4 pm and on the weekends & holidays.) There are only 2 bathrooms on the 3rd floor where I have been changing & washing my face; so when I'm doing that there is only 1 bathroom readily available to the public. (There are no public bathrooms on the 2nd floor; which makes for a good excuse to go for a walk at 10 minutes to the hour when I need more steps to reach my 250-step hourly goal!) On the 1st floor there is the separate bathroom that I used as well as the main bathroom that it is adjacent to that has multiple stalls. There are no residents on the 1st floor, its only administration, so there is also less demand for the bathrooms. (We found out about this bathroom during the flu quarantine when they didn't want us going to the 3rd floor where there were 2 known cases of flu.)


Lunch today was Pork stew, Steamed rice, Steamed corn, Tossed salad, Brownie, & Chicken jook. I was able to get Dad to eat one bite of the brownie; he also didn't want his supplements, he only drank half of the juice. I ate the jook today, it was tasty!


During my last walk of the day, I saw another Kolea at the park. I'm not sure if it's the same one I saw at the park earlier in the day, but I am assuming it is.


For dinner I picked up a pizza from Boston Pizza; I ordered a pepperoni pizza which is what I get when I am trying out a new pizza place. It's New York style pizza with thin crust; they apparently only have one size of pizza. We all liked it.
Pizzas in the display case at Boston Pizza.
Our pizza at home, it's a little bigger than the box; Roommate's hand for scale.

My phone really screwed up today. If I have someone's mobile number I send them a text on their birthday. I sent a text this morning to my friend Terry because my phone said today was his birthday (by way of Facebook). He texted back that it wasn't until 12/08! So he'll get 2 birthday wishes from me this year!

I found out an annoying thing about the data transfer to the MacBook Pro, apparently the Address Book app that was on my old MacBook is not supported in the MacBook Pro; I can't find it anywhere. I still have the e-mail address data under the Contacts app (which replaced the Address Book app on the Toolbar) but I am missing the "Groups" that I set up in the Address Book; I will have to start from scratch & rebuild those again.

Happy Birthday to Joyce, Gwen, & Michael!

No comments:

Post a Comment