Saturday, August 11, 2018

Primary Election Day

Today was primary election day here. On a Saturday, what a novel idea! My new polling place was fairly busy at 8:15 this morning when I arrived. In Hawaii you have to choose a party during the primary, then vote only for candidates within that party; if you don't or if you vote for more candidates than you are supposed to, your ballot is invalidated. After marking your ballot, you send it through the scanner. You can get a receipt for voting if you want one; so I did.


I had gone to the polling place after I had finished walking at Maunalani. Today was not misty & comfortable like the past couple of days has been, it was sunny and moderately hot. Even though I had been able to do some cooling down at the polling station, I was still so hot & sticky that I had to take a shower when I got home.

I picked pakalana flowers today & made a lei for a friend that is here for the weekend. I picked all the mature flowers that I could find but there weren't as many as I thought there would be; I think the heat has affected the vines. I sorted through the flowers I had picked last week & couldn't find many that were still good enough to use. I went back out and picked enough other flowers that weren't quite mature; they had not yet developed the bright yellowish-orange color of the mature flowers.

I had lunch with my friends; we went to Kaimuki Cafe. I had a Teri Mahimahi Sandwich, my friends had an Chinese Chicken Salad and a Vegetarian Omelette. They were all very good!
Chinese Chicken Salad.
Vegetarian Omelette.
Teri Mahimahi Sandwich.

We also visited the Crack Seed Store. I got some Li Hing Cranberries and Tamarind Candy. There was a customer there when we arrived & during the short period we were looking around & making our purchases, several other customers came in. It was nice to see they had a lot of business.


Today is Saturday so I put a reminder sign up about My Destiny, the Filipino soap opera that we had watched on & off; we are not very good soap opera fans, we've missed most of the episodes. We aren't really even sure what time it is on, & we think it is on KBFD. The Roommates were at a baby shower so it was my responsibility to watch tonight's episode & report on what happened. At 5 pm I turned on the TV & flipped through the channels, searching for My Destiny. I couldn't find it. I couldn't find it at 5:30 either. So either the soap opera has ended or it was pre-empted by football.


The electric clock in my bedroom was in the midst of dying. I think it was probably as old as the house; I replaced it with a battery-operated wall clock.
Before view from my bed.
After view from my bed.

While listening to Blood Rites today, Harry Dresden talked about ticks! I won't say what happened so that I won't spoil it for anyone who might be planning to also listen to the audiobooks. I finished listening to it today & started on Dead Beat in the evening.
 
 
Happy Birthday to Uncle Tom, Sistah T, & Bev!

No comments:

Post a Comment