Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Glad I Thought of This!

I have been thinking about my walking routes. When I first put together my schedule of increasing distances, I was only looking at which bits would equal the distance I was aiming for. After the 1st walk with a new segment I realized that it wasn't totally additive; I needed to also figure out how I was going to physically connect the segments. Duh! One of the ones that has been really bothering me is the segment I call Lurline-Matsonia; which is scheduled to start on Sunday. I named it that because I envisioned walking down Lurline & up Matsonia; I was also cringing because Matsonia looks really steep where it comes up to Sierra. This morning a light bulb went off: What if I walk DOWN Matsonia and UP Lurline? It looks much more doable now! I hope there's no steep surprise on Lurline that I have conveniently forgotten; I'll find out soon enough.
If I walk down Matsonia ...
... and up Lurline, I should be able to make it!

During my morning walk the workers for the Board of Water Supply were just setting up for the work for today. They have 2 open ditches on Maunalani Circle and 1 on Sierra Drive near the park. It makes for creative walking. The lawn was being mowed at the park so there were no Kolea but the Cattle Egret was there catching prey injured by the mower & weed eater. I saw one of the Kolea during my mid-morning walk. I also took another photo of the shower tree flowers that had collected in the swales along the road.



Lunch today was Pork tofu, Steamed rice, Peas and carrots, Garden salad, Macaroon bar, & Chicken gumbo. That's what the menu said but it wasn't peas & carrots and there was no gumbo on my tray.


I saw more Kolea on my afternoon walk. There was one Kolea in the forested area and one down on the field. I also saw a mushroom on the lawn near the lower parking lot; its either a Lepiota rachodes or a Chlorophyllum molybdites, you can only tell by doing a spore print.
Kolea in the forest.
Kolea on the field.
Lepiota or Chlorophyllum?

Today was the first day this week that I was able to do all 3 of the walks as I had scheduled for this week. They totaled 2.88 miles or 0.12 mile less than what I am aiming for this week. I think if I leave from the upper parking lot and end at the lower parking lot on the 3rd walk it should be 3.0 miles.     

With the windfall of avocados that we got from the wind preceding Hurricane Lane, I decided to make guacamole last night. I cubed 3 avocados & sprinkled them with lime juice. This evening I completed the America's Test Kitchen guacamole; it has a secret ingredient.
The secret ingredient: Bacon!
Avocado chunks (L), guacamole mixture (R).
ATK Guacamole. Yum!

While we were waiting for Hurricane Lane to make landfall (or veer away) I was taking photos of the waves to show how the storm surge was creating larger waves. But at that time I did not have a "before" photo; I have one now.
Waves on a normal day.
On 08/24 at 7 a.m.

Hurricane Miriam crossed over into the Central North Pacific today; at 75 mph Miriam is just barely a hurricane. At this time Miriam is not expected to cause any problems for us.
5 p.m.

Happy Birthday to Diana!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you escaped storm damage. I'm salivating over your guacamole. Bacon!! And look at the size of that mushroom!!

    ReplyDelete