Saturday, December 21, 2019

12/17 Kai Arrives

The big news on Tuesday was that Kai arrived. He had a longer than usual flight since the one he was booked on had a 2-hour layover in Kahului. But he did finally get here; he was hungry. We went t The Counter where he had a burger he really liked the last time he visited. But we forgot that we would have to compete with Christmas shoppers for parking; luckily we got a space near the elevator. This time we both did the Create Your Own burger option so I can't really tell you what they are called. But I can tell you I limited the carbs and increased the protein in mine. Kai's had bacon and smoked Gouda and a fried egg on top!
Like I said, we parked near the elevator!
My burger order.
Kai started with a shake.
Hereʻs Kaiʻs burger with a side of fried onion strings.
Hereʻs my burger.

I started my day with a sunrise walk as usual. During the drive up I saw Ona & Rio as they were finishing the circle. During my walk I saw Mike & Dulci on their way to Laureʻs house, later I saw Loy at the bus shelter. As I was nearing the top of Lurline I saw Haku running down towards me but he was actually going for the little dog behind me; fortunately he just wanted to play with it rather than eat it! I was able to distract him long enough for Shannon to retrieve him. (Shannon had been momentarily distracted cleaning up after Haku when he got away.) During my cool down stretches I saw Wolf doing a lap around the circle.
Twenty-two minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Thirteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Three minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

During my walk I noticed that another tree had been blown over in the gusty winds we had the previous night. This is at the house where the eucalyptus was trimmed to keep from blocking the view.
Looking at the fallen tree from the upslope side.
Looking at it from the downslope side.

After my walk I raced back home to meet Curtis for breakfast; it was Tuesday. But we also had a meeting with Harold, our financial advisor. We had breakfast at The Original Pancake House that is in the building Harold's office is in. Curtis had the hash and eggs breakfast and I had a Denver Omelet.
 
My Denver omelet; I forgot to take a photo of Curtis' breakfast.

We met with Harold mainly to look at transferring some of Dad's assets to him for investing. The 2 accounts we were looking at earn 0.11% and 0.2% interest; last year Harold made 14% for me on my investments. My investment strategy is more aggressive than Curtis' because I am naturally more of a risk-taker than he is; his highest risk was riding motorcycles, mine was jumping out of airplanes. We kept Dad's at a lower risk level than either of ours.

Before I went to pick Kai up, I worked on transferring the money over to Harold. And ran in to some problems with one of the financial institutions; they were unable to find about half the paperwork that I submitted earlier when we turned Dad's regular account into a trust account. They statement we get says it is in a trust but it did not have the paperwork saying I had power of attorney or that I was the successor trustee; I submitted all those papers again for review by the bank's attorney. The other financial institution, which had the larger account that we were closing, had everything and it was very smooth sailing to close it and get the check for Harold.

Belated Hauʻoli lā Hānau to BJ!

No comments:

Post a Comment