Friday, December 13, 2019

Aloha ʻOe, Alexis!

Today was the last day of the Oʻahu Seabird Aid Program; Alexis left for a short visit to the Big Island before she returns home to New Hampshire and temperatures that are right around freezing. So only about a 50 degree drop; not like when we sent Nikki back last year to snow and temperatures below freezing with about a 60 degree difference! I was going to take Alexis to Kokua Market for the dinner they do on Fridays & Saturdays; we got there and found out that they will no longer be doing those. We went across the alley to Pieology and had pizza instead. I chose a cauliflower crust with the fattiest, meatiest things I could get with some vegetables. I liked the cauliflower crust and that you can choose your toppings; however, it was not as filling as a Fat Head Pizza, I ate the whole thing
Alexis' pizza.
My pizza.

Well the big news is that the Board of Water Supply worked through the night on the water main break. It kept The Roommates up for most of the night but I didn't hear it; my room is at the opposite end of the house. Today when I returned from my sunrise walk there were half a dozen big trucks there plus equipment; the 8th Avenue was totally blocked off on the side with the break. When I returned about 2:30 we had water; they were still repairing the road and parking strip. They were completely done about 4 pm.
At 6:39 am.
The tanker is still there.
At 8:25 am.
At 2:34 pm.
At 3:44 pm, the tanker is leaving.

On my drive up for my sunrise walk I saw Wolf as I was pulling in to the parking lot. Later, during my walk, I saw him again finishing another lap; I also saw Ona & Rio on the circle. I saw Dean on his way up Sierra, then when he was going down Lurline. Loy was doing his exercises at the bus shelter while he waited for his ride home. As I was nearing the end of my walk I saw Laure with Champ and Molly talking with Vince as he got ready to go to work; Mike & Marley were just starting their walk and Lorraine was way up ahead on her lap around the circle.
Seventeen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Seven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eight minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

After my sunrise walk, I stopped at Longs and got a bottle of hand sanitizer for each bathroom; there was already one in the house for the kitchen. We had enough water to last for a week; I had only filled enough bottles for half the amount we needed for a disaster per the emergency management folks. If a hurricane was forecast to make landfall I was going to fill the rest of the bottles; its easier to store empty bottles than full ones.


I also checked out Bear treats. That is, treats for Bear, the dog that belongs to one of Kai's roommates. In the birthday care package I sent for Kai & Brianna's birthdays I included treats for Bear. Apparently he really likes them! Unfortunately they got rid of the packaging before they found out how much he liked them, so I went in search of what I sent.
Bear's new favorite treat.

On Friday I usually come back and hang out my laundry that I washed the night before; without water there was none of that going on! I was also planning on baking more low carb biscotti; that was also not happening today! I ended up doing financial paperwork.

On my way up to do my mid-morning walk I got a call; it was Alexis, the Subaru wouldn't start. I ran out to the Makiki bunkhouse; I ended up calling AAA and they sent Manoa out to test the battery, starter, & alternator. It turned out to be the battery. Manoa asked how old the car was and told me that new cars have a 3-year warranty on the battery but since it was a 2016 I just missed it. I told him I bought it in 2017, he said call the dealer and check. I did. I was still covered! Manoa saved me the cost of a new battery (about $135) so I gave him $20 to go have lunch!
Manoa backs the AAA van up to the Subaru. (There's a little rain on the lens.)
A top made to turn a 5-gallon bucket into a seat. They have a lot of buckets at the bunkhouse.

Alexis and I switched cars; she took the RAV4 to finish off the last few things she needed to do. I took the Subaru in to the dealer; the technicians had just left for lunch so they would not be able to tell me whether they could get to it today or not. I said no problem, I would run errands while waiting; I walked up to the post office which is about 3/4 mile uphill. It took about 13 minutes to get there; I checked out things along the way. There is a cat cafe that is coming soon!

On my way back I stopped at the Subaru dealership to talk to Kirk, the salesman I bought my Outback from in 2017 and found that he had moved to their Mapunapuna store. So I talked to Reid who gave me some important information. He said to come in before I go on my trip in early January and put a hold on the hybrid Crosstrek that I want, then it will still be there when I come back later in January when the solar panels are hooked up and ready to go.

It was a good thing the water got hooked up. It made cleaning up the mess I made a little easier. Sometimes things are placed in the refrigerator in a precarious position, when I opened the refrigerator door to get some water this afternoon a tray of noodles fell out. Fortunately, they did a full flip and landed on the foil used to cover the tray. Only a small amount landed outside of the foil, the rest was still good.
Where is the kitty clean up crew? Dogs are better at kitchen clean ups!

With everything going on with the water I forgot to weigh myself this morning. It will have to wait until tomorrow.

Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanaʻo #5 to Clarissa & John!

No comments:

Post a Comment