Saturday, December 7, 2019

Dinner with Eileen

Cousin Eileen came in last night; she's here for the Honolulu Marathon tomorrow. She parked her rental car at our house and we went to meet up with the others. We had an early dinner so that she could get enough rest this evening. We went to Zippy's Kahala; she said she has happy memories of going there with Mom & Dad. I chose the Korean Fried Chicken Salad, which was probably not a good choice. I found out later that it had 24 g carbs, 42 g protein, & 22 g fat; good on protein & fat, not good on carbs. Eileen had breakfast for dinner, she took the leftovers back so she could have carbs for breakfast before she started the marathon.
Eileen shares a humorous story Dad told her about when he was in the hospital during the war.

Korean Chicken Salad; its the sauce on the chicken that has the carbs!
Breakfast Combination.
Garlic Rib Steak; I should have had this for dinner. With salad in place of the rice & corn. (Photo by The Potential Most Favorite Roommate)
Zip-min. (Photo by The Potential Most Favorite Roommate)
Hamburger Steak. (Photo by Lori)
Chicken Katsu. (Photo by Lori)
Chili Moco. (Photo by Lori)

Our waitress Moon showed us the various signs for "love" currently circulating in Korean pop culture.
We're all apparently making the sign for "I love you."

FYI The Honolulu Marathon allows you to track an athlete live! Click here to see how cousin Eileen did during the race. Her bib number is 5949.


During my drive up this morning I didn't see any regulars; which I found surprising since there was a persistent light breeze which made it a very nice morning for walking. As I was on my sunrise walk I saw Cody & Rollie with Roger in the distance; a short while later I saw Lorraine by the upper end of the park. She was glad she was able to recognize the Saffron Finch she saw yesterday; about 5 minutes later below the park driveway I saw one singing in a tree. I took a photo & immediately sent it to her! Ona passed me as she jogged up Sierra; later I saw her as she was on her 2nd lap around the circle. As I was coming up Lurline, Miss Paula drove by. During my cool down stretches the only regular I saw was Ken with Toto & Chico.
Eleven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eight minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Saffron Finch.

In case you're wondering, the "sunrise" photos on Waiʻalae are now spotty because I only take the photo when I am stopped at the intersection. The rare photo with a green light is one I have taken just as the light has changed. Since sunrise is becoming later, I am tending to arrive at that intersection when more people are moving through it so frequently another car has triggered the traffic signal & I am driving straight through without stopping; so no photo op.

There was a Christmas card from Toby posted in the hallway this morning; he is one of the dogs that comes to visit the residents and do tricks for them.

Dad was finishing off his breakfast in bed when I arrived. He ate all his fried egg sandwich and papaya; there was no banana today. He drank 120 ml orange juice and 60 ml water.

As I finished the lap around the circle during my mid-morning walk I saw Suzette working in her yard; I didn't stop since I wasn't sure what else might happen along my route today. She wasn't visible when I passed by at the end of my walk. The only other regular I saw was Gwen driving by on Lurline. There was a  bunch of tree trimming going on at the house where the tree fell over last week; it looks like they are taking out the other Formosa koa tree. Now that nice shady yard (and portion of my walk) will be hot and sunny! The eucalyptus along the circle were also being trimmed so they wouldn't block the view from the adjacent deck.

Formosa koa being removed.
Eucalyptus being topped.

I am conflicted over the removal of the Formosa koa; not only because of the loss of shade. It is an invasive species so getting rid of it will be good because it will remove a seed source. But it is a large tree, removing it will remove a piece of the carbon sink in the urban forest; I hope they replace it with native trees or shrubs instead of just letting the area revert to lawn.

I found this old nest on the ground in very good condition. I'm not sure how long it has been there; I found it where Kelly's girlfriend parks her car and the car had been there for a while, I think she was out of town. With all the precipitation we have been having the nest should have been a soggy mess but it wasn't; the car did a good job of protecting it!


Yang was watering the orchids at the main entrance when I returned from my mid-morning walk. There were 7 plants that were in bloom.


Lunch today was Chicken Florentine (11 g carbs), Angel hair pasta, Lemon butter broccoli, Tossed salad, Pineapple cheesecake, and Garden vegetable soup. I skipped lunch to minimize my carb intake since I knew we were going out to dinner with Eileen; I ate a Kunoa Hawaii Grown Beef Bar instead (2 g carbs, 9 g protein, 1 g fat). Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and most of the  dessert. He drank 120 ml cranberry juice but no water.
My lunch today.
I think there still might have been a lunch waiting for me.

I skipped the afternoon walk in order to do a little more steam cleaning before I needed to pick up Eileen for dinner. Since the air conditioning units are only going in to the bedrooms, we can move all the things in the other rooms back towards the windows. So I worked on the floor under the dining room window; it looked really dirty to me. And it was! I'll do another cleaning tomorrow before I start moving things back.
Before.
After.

When I got back home I discovered the new scale I bought had arrived! It is one that also measures body fat as well as how much water you have in your tissues. (Its measured via electrical impedance.)
Now I won't have to rely on the WiiFit but I will wait until next Friday to calibrate the two against each other. In the meanwhile I need to check the new scale to see if it also calculates BMI; I'm pretty sure it does because it will have all the data necessary to do so.


Once again I started out the day in ketogenesis! I passed on the lunch at Maunalani to minimize my  carbs then so that I had more choices at dinner that would still keep me around 20 to 25 g carbs per day; because of my poor dinner choice I ended the day at 30 g carbs. We'll have to see what happens tomorrow.
6:07 am, upon waking.
9:46 am, just before mid-morning walk.
11:09 am, after mid-morning walk & before lunch.
5:10 pm, after steam cleaning & before dinner.

I saw a new cat today; it was sunning itself on the top of the wall at the house near the base of the park where the ʻEhakō like to forage in the yard at sunrise. It is a dilute orange tabby, basically a light orange Garfield. There were no ʻEhakō around when I saw the cat.
Cat #17 Garfield Lite.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Josey!

No comments:

Post a Comment