Saturday, December 28, 2019

Picnic at Byodo-in Temple

We met Tricia for lunch today; we decided to do a picnic at the Byodo-in Temple. Tricia goes there about once a year to enjoy the tranquility of the area; but today there were over 3000 visitors according to the parking attendant. Tricia said she had never seen it this busy. But we had a peaceful lunch at the employee tables.
Tricia heads over the bridge towards the temple.
One of the many cats at the temple.
Tricia & Kai in a post-lunch book discussion.

We started out our picnic by meeting Tricia at Chile Relleno No. 1, in the shopping mall across the street from the Valley of the Temples. Tricia got the Tradicionales Burrito, Kai got the Grande Burrito, & I got the Chile Colorado Fiesta Bowl.



Grande Burrito.
Chile Colorado Fiesta Bowl.

Tricia uses a scooter to get around when there is more walking than a hundred feet or so. Its a cool little scooter; she said it weighed about 50 pounds. And it comes apart and folds up, too! She said it also has the most ground clearance at 4&1/2 inches. An unusual feature of her scooter is that the motor is in the front wheel so she can't ride through standing water. It also has less power but she is fine with the trade-offs.
She was so fast I missed the 1st part where she removed the battery.
The pieces are light enough she can handle it by herself.

All pau!

I started the morning with my sunrise walk. On the drive up I saw no one; it was a little drizzly. I thought I might be in for another rained out morning but it slowed then stopped. On the circle I saw Laure with Champ & Molly getting ready to start their walk, then I saw Yan & Lucky, but they were the only ones I saw this morning. Even during my cool down stretches I saw no other regulars. It was a little wet but not at all as wet as yesterday.
Eighteen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Rain nine minutes before sunrise.
Four minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eleven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

Dad was in bed eating breakfast when I arrived at his room. He finished half his fried egg sandwich and all of the papaya and banana. He drank 120 ml cranberry juice and 120 ml water.

Last night Kai was watching Magnum PI and wondering where one of the driving scenes was; it was the road out to Waimanalo. We left a little early today to meet Tricia so I could take him around that way. We ended up being late because I had not anticipated the traffic jams caused by tourists; I was totally unprepared for how much more traffic there is now on these roads! (There are no photos since I was driving.)

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Jennifer!

1 comment:

  1. Love the pic just before sunrise. Your post almost always show delicious food!! This one didnt let me down in that regard!!! Hope I get to see you when you visit. 🎵

    ReplyDelete