Monday, December 2, 2019

Window Replacement, Day 1

David & Liʻi arrived about 9 this morning to start the replacement of the old windows with new impact-resistant windows. They started by remeasuring all the openings and checking against the order that was placed for the new windows to be manufactured; they didn't want to pull out any windows and then find the replacement window did not fit. In the meanwhile, the windows were being loaded on to a truck at the warehouse; Justin arrived about 10:15 with the windows.
Liʻi (L) and David remeasure the windows.
Justin (L) delivers the new windows; David and Liʻi (R) help unload.


We had to catch Luna and S'mores and keep them in The Roommates' bedroom while David & Liʻi were working; especially when they had the picture window out of the frame. Tomorrow the cats will have to be back in the bedroom while the windows opening in to the cat run are being replaced. When those are done they can go in to the cat run, so that the crew can work on The Roommates' windows.

David & Liʻi started with the picture window so that Justin could haul it back to their warehouse after he dropped off the new windows. They moved clockwise, in the same order that the other Diamond Head Window guys looked at and measured the windows. Normally they work in a team of 3 but one of the team was still on the Big Island for an extended holiday weekend; he'll be back tomorrow.
The old window.
David & Liʻi (R) remove the old picture window glass.
Look, Ma! No glass!
Removing the wooden louvers.





Liʻi screws the window in while David stabilizes it.


By the time David & Liʻi  left they had installed 5 windows. David said they should finish tomorrow unless they run in to problems with any of the remaining windows.
The old window in one of the bedrooms.





I started today with my sunrise walk; on the drive up I saw Paul & Bodhi on their way back down. I was about 10 minutes earlier than normal. While walking I LaVie by the park. Later I saw Mary below the park; then when she was on her way down Lurline. During my cool down stretches I saw Laure with Champ & Molly, Suzette was walking with Claudia & Kona, and LaVie was on one of her laps around the circle.
Looking dry as I arrived!
Eighteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Three minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

I saw 2 more houses with Christmas decorations. One was a decorated tree, the other was ornaments near the gate entry.



I also saw 2 trees that blew over last night. One appeared to have a rotten core, the other looked like it had shallow roots that could not hold in the saturated soils.
Fallen tree at park.
It looked like it had dry rot.
This tree appeared to be uprooted.

I was originally going to do some baking but decided against it. I think baking is out of the question until all the window work is done; they use a reciprocating saw on the center wood pillar so a bunch of very fine sawdust is created. I worked on organizing financial and legal papers instead.

I tried to get information on shipping the Outback to Seattle. I started a little late and was on hold from 3:30 to 5 pm; over an hour with no end in sight. I hung up. I'll try again tomorrow, starting in the morning. May be I'll be able to get through.

I was able to burn fats again! Even doing only one full walk is able to boost my body in to the fat-burning mode. I wonder how late in to the evening I can stay in fat-burning if I do the afternoon walk?
6:01 am; upon waking.
8:52 am; about 1 hour after finishing sunrise walk.
3:23 pm; about 2 hours after lunch.
5:18 pm; just before dinner.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Stan & Roy!

No comments:

Post a Comment