Monday, December 23, 2019

Aloha ʻOe, Outback!

We took the Outback to Matson this morning to begin the trip to its new life in the Pacific Northwest. But first I took it to McKinley Car Wash. As part of the process to ship a vehicle to the continental US the vehicle is inspected for seeds of invasive species so a good washing is part of the preparation for shipping.
It was a lot busier than a couple weeks ago.
No traffic!

Kai followed me to Matson in the RAV4. Sort of. We started out together on the freeway but traffic was much more congested by the time we got on the road after the car wash that we got separated. And his GPS was being a little wonky. I was waiting in line when he called, saying he found the Outback and was in the building but couldn't find me. I asked him if he read the sign that said, "SHIPPING A VEHICLE? Please proceed into the building on the left ..."; he had not.


After presenting our photo ID, registration, and title, and signing papers I was directed to take the Outback to the gate by the flags and follow directions given by the guard. Kai was told to just go back to the other building and wait. I followed the directions, parked the car, and was admitted through a secured gate to another door and ... was in the building that Kai was in originally. He was standing outside by the RAV4 when I texted to let him know where I was. The vehicle is also inspected to see what cosmetic or larger damage is present before it is shipped; Randy was very thorough. The Outback passed all its inspections and should arrive in Seattle on January 7th.

Randy starts his inspection.

All that took longer than I thought it would; I thought I would be back up with Dad before lunch. Not. It was lunch time when we got out. With traffic I would be back up with Dad in the early afternoon after he would have started his nap. I texted Curtis to let him know I was not going to be going up this afternoon.

Kai had not had any breakfast before he went to Matson with me. We tried to go to Liliha Bakery for lunch but they were extremely busy. We ended up at the nearby Zippy's. Kai had the Pork Saimin; I had the Grilled Salmon with extra broccoli instead of rice.
Pork Saimin.
Grilled Salmon.

We also stopped at Primo Popcorn; I had sent some popcorn from them to Kai last year and he enjoyed it. I also picked up some small bags for omiyage. They also have t-shirts with pidgin English sayings.

I was able to do my sunrise walk this morning before Matson opened. During the drive up I saw Annette & Loren walking up Sierra and Ona & Rio near the Maunalani driveway. During my walk I saw Dr. Lotharʻs wife feeding the strays; Raymond was out front with Koa, Kuma, & Casey. Down by the park I saw Lynnette & June, then I saw Lorraine; I saw all of them later as they were walking down Lurline. During my cool down stretches I saw Mike & Marley finishing off their walk and Ken with Toto & Chico starting their walk. I also saw Mike & Dulci and LaVie. When I was leaving I saw Gwen & Kea on their walk.
Seventeen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Three minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

The Christmas decoration that had been blown over yesterday was lit up this morning. But it had been grounded. I also saw a wreath on one of the gates.



As I was writing this blog, I received a photo & a text from cousin Tomiko saying, "You read my mind! I was just thinking how my feet were cold washing dishes, even in slippers. I was away for a few days and came back to this package. It wasn't more than 15 seconds before Cub tried it out! Thank you!!! Mele Kalikimaka!" I replied. "Mahalo for the thank you but I didn't send that to you!" It's really great when you get accolades for doing absolutely nothing!


It turns out it was Lori that sent it to her. There was only a last name in the return address so Tomiko jumped to conclusions because she thought it was the type of thing I would send. (I send her other packages of stuff.) She moved Cub so she could get a better photo of it.
It looks like something Lori found at the recent holiday craft sale.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Jody, Mariangela, & Andrea!

2 comments:

  1. Is it the camera or is your salmon white?? Funny story about the floir mat. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was the lighting on the salmon. And, yes, that was pretty funny about the mat!

    ReplyDelete