Thursday, December 12, 2019

Refugees from Kaimuki

We went over to Curtis' house tonight. To take showers. About 6:30 pm, as I was getting ready to take a shower, I noticed flashing lights out front. I went to investigate and found that the water main across the street at Jamie & Dale's house broke; they had a river of water running through their carport and out the back patio to the next door neighbor's yard. The Board of Water Supply shut off the water, so its a good thing I never made it in to the shower or I would have gotten caught half way through. In the meanwhile, we are using the stored water for hurricane season for drinking, washing our hands, and washing dishes. We are putting buckets out at the eaves to collect rainwater for flushing the toilets. And when we returned from our showers the Board of Water Supply tanker was parked across the street.
Looking across the street at the water flowing through Jamie & Dale's carport.
It was raining as we made our way to Waikele.
Making use of our hurricane water supply.
Buckets collecting rainwater to flush the toilets.
BWS water tanker to supply potable water while the main is being repaired.

On my drive up this morning I saw Mary & Noe on their way back home and Ona & Rio on their way up Lurline. Just before I got to the parking lot I saw Wolf doing his morning laps. During my sunrise walk I saw Ona & Rio on the circle, then later they were off in the distance as I headed down Sierra. I also saw Dean twice, once on Sierra as he was going up, then again on Lurline when he was going down. I saw Gwen, Carly, & Kea as they were just starting their walk; I haven't seen them for a while, I think its because my start time changes with the sunrise. I caught up with Bean & Kira just past their house; Kira was throwing a little tantrum because she wanted to go into the neighbor's yard but the gate was closed. Then LaVie came by with Bailey & everything was fine! We walked together until the top of Lurline when we all split up; LaVie & Bailey went down Sierra and Bean & Kira went back down Lurline. During my cool down stretches Mike & Marley were the only regulars I saw.
Fifteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Three minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Moon set this morning.
I think a bird dropped this snail on the sidewalk to break its shell.

Dad was eating breakfast in bed when I arrived. He ate all his fried egg sandwich, papaya, and banana. He also drank 120 ml cranberry juice and 90 ml water!


Lunch today was Pork long squash (2 g), Steamed rice,Tossed salad (3 g), Sweet corn haupia, and Beef vegetable soup. I couldn't find nutritional information on the pork long squash as a complete entity, but I was able to find nutritional info for the long squash which would be the main carb source for that recipe; I skipped the soup, it surprised me because it has 13 g carbs! Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and one piece of the haupia. He drank 120 ml cranberry juice and 30 ml water.


I skipped both the mid-morning and afternoon walks; I was very sleepy today. Which I don't think I should have been since I went to bed about 2 hours earlier last night. I was feeling a little chilled while sitting with Dad; I felt like I was coming down with something.

When I got home I think I discovered what was going on. For some odd reason, I only drank water during my cool down stretches, then I never opened my water bottle again. I left it in my backpack!

I almost completed the photo series for the Yesterday, Today, & Tomorrow shrub this morning! Today was Day 3 and I had photos from Day 0! Unfortunately the flower that bloomed on Day 1 had fallen off. Aue! I am starting all over again.

I did not see Garfield Lite this morning but there were no birds on the lawn either so he was around. This is the lawn where I see him and all the ʻEhakō.


FYI Equipment was arriving to start fixing the broken water main as I was getting ready to publish this post. Since the break is opposite The Roommates' bedrooms they will probably not get much sleep tonight. Check in tomorrow for an update on the status of our water.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Lisa!

No comments:

Post a Comment