Monday, December 2, 2019

Rained Out

I think yesterday was the first time since I started walking that I have been unable to even complete one lap around Maunalani Circle! It was lightly drizzling when I left the house; it got wetter as I came up the hill. On the drive up I was surprised to see Loy making his way up Lurline; he was sheltering behind an umbrella. The wind was blowing very hard. He was the only one that I saw walking about. The rain slowed down as I was parking. But only for a very short while. I sat in the car contemplating my options; I decided to wait until 7 to see if the weather would dry out a little more. And it did! So I started my sunrise walk about 10 minutes after sunrise. According to the Samsung Health walking app, I got about 0.05 miles from the car when it began to drizzle a little more. And I could have kept going in that amount of drizzle but the gusts were the problem. That section of my walk has the heaviest and most persistent gusts; with the wind chill I was getting very cold even when walking. I took shelter under the ulu tree to see if it might stop. No luck. So I headed back to the car. I did a grand total of 0.13 miles on Sunday morning.
Twenty-one minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
What it looked like when I parked.
Ten minutes after sunrise on Maunalani.
Under the ulu, waiting for the rain and wind to stop. They didn't.

The new flooring had been installed in the bathrooms. That's why they were closed on Saturday; they had to remove the toilets so the new floor could be installed.


Since I got in so early, Dad was just being served his breakfast when I arrived. He ate 3/4 of his fried egg sandwich and all his papaya and banana. He drank 120 ml cranberry juice and 120 ml coffee but no water. CNA Lesley was working with Dad this morning; CNA Sharmaine was delayed getting to work.


One of Chris' granddaughters who is visiting is gluten-intolerant; I brought The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook series that I have for her to look at. I also brought in the latest Cooks Illustrated magazine and a special holiday offer for a subscription.

I got so cold during my sunrise walk that I was unable to warm up through breakfast even with running very warm water over my wrists. I ended up going home about an hour after Dad ate and was fast asleep.
When I left the car I was optimistic that it would get hot & sunny so I covered the steering wheel.
The sun was trying to come out; about 10 seconds later it was totally hidden again.

On the drive back home it was interesting; the weather started to clear up! There were patches of blue sky! When I parked at the house I could actually see the sun peaking through the clouds. But when I looked back up at Maunalani it was still misty and wet. Curtis said it was dry at his house, too.
On 11th Avenue, at the foot of the hill. Blue sky!
This is what I saw when I parked. Sun!

Once home, I was going to put on my fleece over the top I had on but realized that was not possible without moving a lot of stuff; I had pushed everything we needed to get away from the windows up against the closet doors! Aue! Fortunately my leggings and sweatshirts are stored in a set of drawers that are not in the closet. I changed my clothes and crawled in to bed after having a serving of Pizza Topping Casserole for brunch.
Ooops! Not going to get to that fleece in the closet.
But I could get to these!

Good thing I did that! I was only going to take my normal half hour nap; I ended up waking up about 5 pm, about 6 hours later! It was a good thing I did that; when I woke up I could tell that I had been on the verge of a fibromyalgia attack. My body was sore and not in that good kind of sore when you have had a good workout!

I ate another serving of Pizza Topping Casserole for dinner while I watched the news and the two 60 Minutes episodes tonight. I stayed up until about 9 pm; I thought it was more prudent to skip the late news & rest rather than risk a full-blown fibromyalgia attack.

Because I was not able to do any walking I was not able to get my body in to ketogenesis. I think that is the big difference between being at the 20 g/day end of the spectrum versus being at the 50 g end. I think if I had consistently been at the 20 g end, I would have still been burning fat; but since I am at the 50 g end there is still a bunch of carbs that I am taking in so my body burns those first.
10:14 am; before brunch.
5:26 pm; after my 6 hour nap.
9:02 pm; getting ready for bed.

A Belated Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Paul!

No comments:

Post a Comment