Saturday, December 21, 2019

Holiday Hustle 5K, Not

Late last night we got an e-mail saying the Holiday Hustle had been cancelled. It was because of the high wind warning. We could still go and pick up our t-shirts and other race goodies. And since I had already made plans with Tricia to meet after the race for breakfast Kai & I headed over to Kailua to meet up with her. On the way Kai marveled at the waterfalls near the Pali that were being blown upward by the winds!
It was raining even lower in the valley.
Usually the mountains can be seen from here.
There's a little bit of the lower part of the mountains showing.
Here are some of the waterfalls being blown upward by the winds.

The e-mail gave 2 locations to pick up the Holiday Hustle swag. The earlier location was at the beach park where the race would have started; the later one was at the Kalapawai Cafe right around the time Tricia could meet us. We got there a little earlier than Tricia so we could pick things up from Jen who was distributing the Holiday Hustle swag.
Jen during a break in handing out the Holiday Hustle swag.
Here's what was in my swag bag.

Tricia met us at Kalapawai Cafe. She had the Breakfast Sandwich with everything, Kai had the Lemongrass Shrimp Breakfast Banh Mi with Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake and I had a Breakfast Wrap and a Breakfast Sandwich with ham. Tricia & I had a great time catching up on what's been going on since we last saw each other last year. Kai & Tricia hit it off very well with their shared interest in books and computers. I also found out that Tricia is putting together a tour of New Zealand next year and I am tentatively going with her; she has previously been the anthropology expert on tours for cruise ships in the South Pacific so I am looking forward to going with her.


Tricia & Kai enjoying their coffees while we wait for the food.
Breakfast Sandwich with everything.
Lemongrass Shrimp Banh Mi.
Breakfast Sandwich & Breakfast Wrap.
Triple Chocolate Mousse, just before it disappeared.

One of the places Tricia mentioned to Kai was BookEnds; it carries both new & used books. And lots of them! The prices were a little higher than what we are used to finding at used book stores but they had a very large selection. Total purchases came to almost $200, of which only around $30 was for my books.

Another great parking space during the Christmas frenzy!

Probably not a good place to be in an earthquake.
Kai's favorite section.
One of the books I bought.
I'm probably wasting my money on this one.
Looking forward to growing natives with this one.

Another place that Tricia mentioned to Kai was Morning Brew since he needed more coffee. It was a couple doors down from BookEnds. I was able to find the Maui Mokka variety of coffee there! I am now wondering if the limited amount of Maui Mokka that is grown is now being sold only to specialty coffee houses; I have not been able to find it with the other bagged coffees at Longs or supermarkets.



When we got home we harvested the navel oranges. Lori likes to juice them so her mom can have fresh orange juice with her breakfast.



I forgot to mention that I weighed myself yesterday. I used both the WiiFit and the Tanita scale in order to figure out what the difference between the 2 would be; the WiiFit said 105.6, the Tanita said 106.4. A difference of 0.8 pounds. The WiiFit asks me how much my clothes weigh; I choose the lightest option offered which is 2 pounds. It turns out, according to the Tanita, my clothes actually weigh 0.8 pounds! From today forward weights will be taken on the Tanita. Which also says I am 27.2% fat, not the 25.4% I calculated based on assuming that I only gained fat after I herniated the disc in my back and did not lose any muscle. Obviously I have lost muscle if I am now at 27.2% fat. Aue! Now I have to do some weight training!

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Micah & Kulsoom!

No comments:

Post a Comment