Monday, June 3, 2019

Birthday Lunch

I went to take Uncle Kazu to lunch today; Aunty Judy had called in the morning to say she was treating us to lunch today! But Uncle Kazu's leg was too weak to support him while he pivoted in to the car and PT Sugi wasn't there; so I just went to Minnie's and picked up 2 lunches for us. We got grilled ono and ate in the covered lanai area.
I said, "Smile!" and this is what I got. Again.


After lunch we watched the contractor work on the new landscaping at the front of the facility; its the reason Uncle Kazu can't do his usual loop around the parking lot. I talked to the surveyor and he thinks they will have the orange safety fence down & traffic flow returned to normal in about 3 weeks; the landscaping and sidewalks, though, will take longer to complete. I suspect after it is complete, Uncle Kazu will be limited to the path being created and the parking lot will be off limits except for the crosswalk to get to the circular portion of the path.
The entertainment as we ate lunch.
The lanai would be at the upper left of this diagram.
Looking at the smaller rectangular area from its upper right corner.
From the same location as above, looking across at the larger triangular area.

I did my morning walk as usual. It is a fairly quiet route; I only saw 18 cars during my 35 minute walk. I saw 11 species, including a pair of Red Avadavats; they're a new species for me.
Two minutes after sunrise on Kynnersley.

I made a quick check of the rat baits and found the ones on the ground missing again. This time it was not only around the macadamia nut tree that they were missing; it was all the trees! When I went to Sunshine True Value later in the afternoon I asked if they knew what would happen to pigs eating the Ramik rat bait; they said they weren't sure but it should at least give them a stomach ache!
Macadamia nut tree.
Persimmon tree.
Pua kenikeni tree.

I spent most of the morning spreading the cinders, removing weeds, and preparing more area for weed cloth. I wrapped up about an hour before I was to pick up Uncle Kazu, so that I could shower and change in to clean clothes. I will continue the work; I want to cover the south side to the garage before I leave. I will let the weed cloth do its job and kill the weeds just by being there!
In the morning, before I started this part of the project.
Eight bags of cinders spread.
This is the part where I just covered the weeds & left them for a month or so; needs work around the edge.
After I removed the weeds along the edges.
Weed cloth has been extended to the right.
Weed cloth will continue off to the right along the south side of the house.
Weed cloth will go down to the garage opening.
During my stretch breaks I can watch the Saffron Finches build a nest in Jessie's downspout.
What it looks like during a precipitation event.

After lunch I sent to Sunshine to pick up more tools and supplies; including rat bait. I got a garden fork to loosen the soil so I can remove the heliconia tubers more completely; I also got another pair of lopping shears, someone walked off with my other pair. I'm going to use those to keep cutting off the sprouts from the base of the invasive trees I had cut down.
The garden fork.


I didn't hear Mom Cat meowing today. But I did notice that food was disappearing. I kept filling up the bowl so that she and the kittens would know that this was a place they might find food at.
Someone came by in the morning when I was occupied.
Someone left wet little pawprints when they came in to eat.

I unloaded a couple of boxes after dinner and washed one batch of dishes. There are a bunch that will just be for display not everyday use. Here are some of them. The suribachi has a stamp on the back saying, "Made in Occupied Japan."  The sparrow dish also has an unusual stamp on the back that included "Honolulu, Hawaii".

This suribachi was made in Occupied Japan.
Here's the stamp on the bottom of the suribachi.
Here's the back of the sparrow plate.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to cousin Richard! And also to John, Jonathan, & DoQuyen!

No comments:

Post a Comment