Sunday, June 9, 2019

Dadʻs New Room

It's not really new; he's moved to the bed by the window. It feels strange to be sitting on this side of the room. And also to not have Mr. Yamada here.
The new view.

During my morning walk I saw LaVie as she was headed up to the bus stop, then later as she walked back up. Suzette was out watering her garden as I passed by. I also saw Caroline & Olive twice; once when they were still at their house, then later as they were finishing their walk around the circle. I saw Ken & the early dogs also. Art's project is coming along great! They've made a lot of progress getting the structural parts in place. Kelly's project looks like it is coming along as well, though I can't see it from the road. 
Three minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Four minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Art's walkway is coming along.
Things are happening for Kelly's project, too.

I found an ʻEhakō that had been flattened right in front of the entrance to Maunalani; it was so fresh I may even have counted it on my eBird checklist! There were a bunch of Common Mynas on the roof waiting to swoop in for a meal.
A very fresh kill.
 The Common Mynas sat on the closer roof until I came along & scared them off.

The hāpuʻu and palapalai are doing well. The hāpuʻu has 2 new fronds forming; one is already starting to unfurl.
 

Dad was asleep when I got in but he woke up intermittently. He ate all of his fried egg sandwich and papaya; he saved the banana for later. He drank all 120 ml of apple juice & some coffee. I checked out the photos that Curtis been moved over; one of them was upside down.
Not a biologist.

I was wondering how I would do with a warmer walk since I only walked once a day at sunrise while on the Big Island and it was cooler there even at sunrise. I did fine on the mid-morning walk; it was mostly cloudy. I saw Alex and Satin on the circle; they live next to one of the houses that has the possible Manu-o-Ku tree. I asked Alex if he had ever seen them; he had not. I told him I thought they might be nesting nearby because I have seen adults coming back with fish for the chick. He said that explained a lot! He had seen a fish on the road one day (closer to the other tree) and wondered why it was there; this is more evidence of a nest up there. Later I saw Raymond giving either Koa or Kuma a bath. Chef Marcus drove by as I was walking past the park; I hope he liked the papayas I left for him the day before I went to the Big Island. During my cool down stretches on the 3rd floor landing I glanced over & saw a humongous pile of dirt at Kelly's! But no cool birds today.


I also checked out the equipment that has showed up below the park more closely; it wasn't there before I left. I have revised my previous thought that they were doing work at the park; it looks like they are just staging their equipment for  paving project.


Lunch today was Beef broccoli, Brown rice, Tossed salad, Red velvet cake, and Split pea soup. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 1&1/2 pieces of red velvet cake. He drank 120 ml of apple juice.  

RN Sierra asked me if I had gotten bitten by mosquitoes during my walk; I had not. She said she was out on the 2nd flood landing eating her lunch and started getting bitten on the arms & ankles. I told her that sometimes the plants there are overwatered & mosquitoes breed in the standing water. I told her to put a couple drops of oil on the water to suffocate the larvae; she's going to try that.

The afternoon walk was uneventful until near the end of the walk when Matthew drove by & waved.


I stopped by Times to pick up bags of salad; I ran in to Lois in the fresh produce section. I told her not to buy any papayas since I knew there were ripe ones that I would be picking later; I got 10 of them.


The Roommates are holding a garage sale in a couple of weeks. Lori sent some towels over for it. As I was folding the towels I noticed the colors.
Almost a rainbow!

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Beth! I sure miss being in the field with her, getting avocado curry for lunch, & smoothies from Jamba Juice when our day was done!

No comments:

Post a Comment