Saturday, June 8, 2019

Leaving Moku o Keawe

What a mess at the airport!  Two planes were delayed in Honolulu for reasons we were not told about; I thought those delays would delay my flight. It did a little. It changed our departure gate since people from the flight needing one of the delayed planes that was stuck in Honolulu were at our original departure gate; they were not happy. Then people from 2 planes that were delayed in Kona were added to our plane; 2 ladies were sitting next to me. They said that they had been sitting on the other plane for 2 hours! When we got to Honolulu the baggage was delayed getting off the plane; because our baggage was on the plane 1st, they came off last after the bags of the passengers from the 2 other flights that were added to ours. On Hawaiʻi News Now tonight they said the delays were caused by a GPS multimode malfunction in 14 of their thirty 717s caused by updates over the last few months. I was on a 717 also but it was working fine. 
My flight at its original gate.

The plane I was on was named ʻAkiapolaʻau, it is a type of Hawaiian honeycreeper (Hemignathus wilsoni). There was a plaque just inside the door that explained that the 717's in Hawaiian's fleet are named after native birds. It also gave a little information about the ʻAkiapolaʻau.

I skipped the morning walk again; the pigs woke me up twice early this morning! I tried to get a photo but only succeeded in scaring them away. Or at least one. I definitely heard one rooting around in the heliconia beneath my bedroom window. At 12:30! I scared it away and went back to sleep. Then at around 1:30 the same thing! I scared it away again while trying to take a photo of it. But I couldn't get to sleep, thinking it would show up as soon as I fell asleep again. If it did, I didn't hear it. According to my sleep app I got to sleep around 3 am and woke up a little after 6; so I only got about 3 hours of sleep last night; darn pigs! Aue!
Black feral pig digging in heliconia at midnight.
Damage caused by the pig last night.
Pig hoofprints on weed barrier in anthurium garden.

All the cat food was gone this morning. And there were no pig hoof prints on the ramp so I am pretty sure it was Mom Cat. I saw her briefly as I was packing; she was walking across the far side of Jessieʻs back yard but there were no kittens with her. I filled the bowl just before I left, my parting gift to her. I want to encourage her to stick around the house so that she discourages rodents from getting too comfortable here.
Mom Cat snuck in & got a bunch of food when I wasn't looking.
Mom Cat walking along the edge of Jessie'splace.

The solar panels started producing power about 6:15 this morning; sunrise was at 5:42 but due to the ironwoods along the gulch there wasn't enough insolation to generate power until about 6:15. Around 9:30 the Powerwall was totally charged & the excess was being sent to the grid. It was producing power up until about 6 in the evening and so far has provided 98% of the power used today. Yesterday it provided only 73% of the power used; but that was because the system was turned on at about 10 in the morning. I am curious to see how it will do when we have a house full of people over for Obon next month.
Energy coming in from HELCo.
Energy sent to HELCo.
Net energy "use"; Iʻm not sure what the units are.

As part of my Closing Down procedure today I made notes of everything I did; I also worked on the Opening Up and During Visit notes. I'm doing this so when Tomiko or Kai or other relatives visit & I am not here they know what needs to get done. And also why I do some of the things that might appear to be extraneous; like feeding Mom Cat. I also sent Tomiko information on coffee and alcohol supplies at the house.
DampRid dehumidifier; this one is full & needs changing.
DampRid for hanging in the closet; one at right is full.
Combat Large Roach bait.
If the penny is at the bottom of the cup, the power was off a while; toss everything out.
I like that Clara Takata is the authorized rep; she died a couple years ago. Her photo & ashes are in the managerʻs office.
Coffee choices.
Alcohol choices.

I stopped to say Good Bye to Jessie, Lem, & Uncle Kazu; I didn't have time to run down to Ohta's house. Lem was at CSC, Uncle Kazu was asleep & I didn't want to wake him up, Jessie was home as usual. I had a little hitch hiker during part of my visiting; not sure where it left the car.
A Carolina anole (Anolis carolinensis) hitching a ride.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Steve!

No comments:

Post a Comment