Monday, June 10, 2019

Weather Has Changed

Or maybe I just got used to the cooler temperatures on the Big Island; even here at Maunalani it felt hotter. I didn't watch the news last night so I don't know for sure whether there is something blocking the trades and giving us Kona weather or what; but I could really feel it when I stepped out of the car this morning. I saw Adam walking Bailey off-leash on the circle; she came up to me & was very friendly but still barked at me when I walked past her house. I saw LaVie twice this morning; first at the bus stop, then later as she walked past while I was doing my cool down stretches. I saw Lynnette for the 1st time in weeks, maybe even months; I told her Uncle Kazu remembered her husband & even remembered where the family lived in Niulii. I walked a couple of blocks with Ken & the early-rising dogs; we had a great conversation! Along the way I met Noe & Mary; I have seen them a couple times as we walk in opposite directions on the same route. And as I drove in this morning I saw Wendy walking Bella & Nicky.
Six minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eighteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
The house on the circle being deconstructed.

LaVie said her landlord is going to install solar panels because Trump has a rebate program that pays up to $37,000 that will end at the end of the year. I checked on-line & couldn't find anything (except Trump imposing tariffs that will slow down solar installation); I'll have to ask her to get me details so I can check it out.

Dad was awake & eating breakfast when I arrived. Today he asked CNA Jessa for milk with his breakfast. He ate all of his fried egg sandwich and papaya; he drank all 120 ml of the milk.

My mid-morning walk was hotter than the sunrise walk; the only regular I saw was Wendy as she drove by. I saw that there was a materials delivery at Art's house. The joists for the walkway are much closer than for wood, so I am assuming this is Trex or another wood-looking recycled plastic decking.


There was work on 2 sections of road along my route. The first was the section of Wilhelmina Rise just below the park; it was closed off except for local traffic. The 2nd was on Lurline right near the sharp curve; they had flaggers to control traffic through the area.
Wilhelmina Rise road closure.
Road work on Lurline.

While doing my cool down stretches I saw 6 Manu-o-Kū fly by! Initially, when I saw the 1st set of 3, one of the birds veered off as the other 2 appeared to head out to sea. The straggler started following their path a couple minutes later. Then about 5 minutes later, I saw another set of 3; they stayed together all the way until they were out of sight. Both groups came from the Palolo Valley direction.

Lunch today was Chicken fettucine alfredo, Key West blend vegetables, Tossed salad, Orange pound cake, and Minestrone soup. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 2 desserts. He drank 120 ml each of apple juice & water at lunch and another 120 ml of water after lunch.


I pushed myself during the afternoon walk even though it felt hot; I did the 1.66 miles in 34&1/2 minutes. Usually it takes me 36 to 37 minutes to do my route. I saw Jimmy cleaning up at Wendy & Victor's place. Later I saw him walking Bella & Nicky. During the evening news they said we broke another record today; it was 92 degrees F! No wonder it felt hot today!


So far I have confirmed these 33 residents are still around: Mr. Asato, Uncle Larry, Mr. Crews, Mrs. Higa, Mrs. Honjo, Mr. Ikuma, Mr. Inouye, Mrs. Iseri, Mr. Izon, Mr. Kajihara, Mr. Kalaukoa, Mr. Kam, Lori, Mrs. Keliikipi, Mrs. Kim, Mr. Ko, Mr. Kunisaki, Mrs. Kusunoki, Mrs. Matsushige, Mr. Miyahira, Mrs. Moody, Mrs. Okawa, Mr. & Mrs. Omiya, Mrs. Onoye, Mrs. Pang, Mrs. Shibuya, Mr. Shinagawa, Mrs. Tanji, Mrs. Toyama, Mrs. Tohyai, Mr. Watanabe, & Mrs. Yoshimura. I still need to find out I whether these 7 residents are still there: Mrs. Akiyama, Mr. Chong, Mrs. Chong, Mr. Podhorzer, Mr. Shiraki, Mrs. Tanaka, & Uncle Toni.

After dinner I went to Feather & Fur to drop off the carriers and vitamins for the piscivores. I left right after I finished dinner since the Pali Highway would be closed at 7 pm. On the way back I had to use Likelike.
On the Pali Highway.

No comments:

Post a Comment