Friday, June 28, 2019

Honoring a Veteran

Today was Mr. Yamada's interment at Puowaina, aka National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. He is in Court 13, which is where Mom is; Mr. Yamada is in Wall G, Mom is in Wall A.
Mrs. Yamada receives the flag.
Mr. Yamada's ashes being placed in the niche.
Chaplain Carlton leads the prayer.
The technician takes a GPS reading for Mr. Yamada's final resting place.

Shirley & Brian invited me to join the family for lunch at Nice Day Chinese Restaurant, so I did. The food was great but like last night, there was more than we could eat; I took a bunch home for the roommates. We now have some cake noodles, mapo tofu, sweet & sour pork, and green beans.

Before we left Puowaina they went to place flowers at Guy's father's niche. While on our way there, I pointed out Uncle Art's niche and Guy said "Do you know Russell?"It turns out Russell's wife Paula is Guy's cousin! Small world! This is the reason why I try to be nice to everyone I meet; you never know how you may be connected to someone.

I forgot to mention the wonderful food after Mr. Yamada's memorial last night. But there was so much left over they sent people home with food. I had grabbed some chicken, furikake fish, sushi, mac salad, andagi, and manju; Shirley came over and gave me more including a container of wasabi mayo for the fish. I texted the Roommates & Calvin about it when I got home; they came out to check it out & eat dinner.

I also forgot to mention that I got a call from Maunalani while I was at the reception following the memorial. Dad has developed a fever and a red swollen spot on the back of his left thigh; they believe it is cellulitis. Dad is being treated with clindamycin; they'll monitor it & treat accordingly. I got a look at it today; it looks like it must be sore but Dad didn't complain about it.

It was still overcast so my morning walk was not too hot but it was muggy; there was very little breeze. I only saw Ona in the distance walking up Sierra as I was completing my walk. I didn't see any regulars during my cool down stretches either.
Eighteen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Seven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eight minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
I think this centipede fried on the road.

CNA Sharmaine was trimming Dad's fingernails when I arrived. For breakfast he ate about 1/4 of his fried egg sandwich and all of the papaya & apple banana. He drank 120 ml cranberry juice and 60 ml water.

My mid-morning walk was overcast like the morning walk. It was also muggy and without a breeze. I didn't see any of the regulars.


I used a different angle for the photo of the downspout area. Less of the split AC compressors are visible so the light reflecting off of them doesn't skew the balance of the photo.

I skipped lunch today; the main dish was chicken long rice which I wouldn't be eating anyway. Plus I was leaving right after I got Dad started with lunch in order to go to Mr. Yamada's interment. I wanted to pick up flowers to put at Mom's niche since I was going to be nearby but I left Maunalani a little later than I had planned so I did not have enough time to get flowers.

I had been hearing something quietly knocking around at night over the last few nights. Today I discovered that the shed door was wide open! I had checked the backyard before and had not seen it open; it must have gotten blown open recently. I locked it up, hopefully that gets rid of the noise Iʻve been hearing.


No comments:

Post a Comment