Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Lots of Activity Today!

I thought I had an appointment with the Spectrum installer between 8 and 10 this morning; followed by an appointment with Zachary from ProVision Solar at 11. Nicely spaced out meetings. Not. I called Spectrum when no one showed up by noon; they said my appointment was from between 1 and 3. Mike from Spectrum showed up at 1:15; later Ivan & John showed up to give him a hand since they finished their jobs early.

L to R: Ivan, Mike, & John; trying to work the new app they were given yesterday.

Zachary called me a little after 11; he got his schedule wrong, he was in Keaau not Waimea. He was now going to show up around 3 pm. He actually got here early at 2:30; all 3 of the Spectrum technicians were still here trying to get the new service hook-up app to work! (It was released yesterday.) Zachary walked me through what needs to happen after Hawaiian Electric changes out the meter; sounds simple enough. If HelCo does not change the meter before I leave, Zachary will come by later and flip the switches. Since the new meters are not installed I could not access the Tesla app on my phone to track what's happening with the power generation; I'll have to wait until the meters are changed. Zachary left before Mike did.
Zach shows me how to turn the knob to "1" to get things started.

Later, as I was washing the next batch of dishes to put away I heard a funny noise, like the sound a jet makes as its spooling up for take-off. I searched until I found it; the tankless heater was beeping & showing error code 61. The manual said I needed to call a licensed professional so I called Cullins Plumbing & Fire Protection, Leslie has worked here before. This time her husband Mike came to fix the Rinnai; he said he would be here after 3 pm. Mike the plumber got here around 3:30; Mike from Spectrum was still here, the glitch in the new program meant he had to call O'ahu for them to restart the system. Aue! I should be calling Mike the Plumber, Magic Mike! He got here, I turned on the hot water to get the Rinnai to make the sound it was making earlier & it wouldn't. It also wouldn't show the error code. Mike said it was probably either a gecko or a roach getting in to the squirrel cage fan and upsetting the balance as it spins. Whatever it was, the important thing is its not there now.

There was a heavy drizzle this morning so I slept in. Later I went and checked the rat baits around all the trees and found they were gone again this morning. I did some online research and found one site that says for pigs the LD50 is 150 mg/kg. So for the half-grown pigs (about 50 pounds) it would need to eat about 165 mg of the rat bait or 6 pieces. For the adult pig, which Jessie thinks is about 175 pounds, it would need about 21 pieces. But LD50 means that only half the population would be killed off at that dosage, so there will still be pigs in my back yard. Aue!

While I was finishing off the walk through I saw Jessie in her front yard talking to someone about the pigs. It was Shar, Sam's daughter; Sam had helped me clean out the garage a couple years ago. He & Shar took care of my yardwork when Masa had his shoulder surgery. Since Sam is on O'ahu for some medical treatment, Shar will be setting up traps to catch the pigs on both Jessie's and our place.

Forgot to mention I had a great conversation last night with cousin Tomiko; she's coming in July for Obon. We talked for 1&1/2 hours! Usually we only talk for an hour. Besides coordinating our stay in Kohala, we also talked a little about her house in Wisconsin where she has a lot of different types of irises growing. I had a bunch of irises in Washington also and would have liked some here. But Hawai'i in general is too hot for irises, an iris grower I contacted said I might be able to find a microclimate that could be less harsh on them but wouldn't bet on it. This morning, as I did my walk through looking for pig damage, I spotted a new flower. An iris! I found a microclimate area for at least this variety, may be more could work here! I'll have to contact that grower & get the couple of varieties she thought would be worth a try.


I cleaned off the top of the refrigerator. I used mine for storing things that got use only once a year; I plant to do the same here.
Top of refrigerator; I cleaned the close part already.
Cleaned!

While up there I put away the plates I had in the photos last night. I also washed up the colorful mixing bowls; somehow Grandma got 2 of the same sized green ones.  
I'm using this to hold them in place in case of tremors.
 

As I was working on emptying boxes today I got a little sidetracked. I had switched to cleaning out the rolling cart which has a cabinet; I want to use the cabinet for storage of my FoodSaver machine and supplies. The cabinet contained a bunch of annual reports from Kohala Sugar Company from about 1946 through 1965; I found Grandpa's name in several of them. I also found a photo of Joy, Arlene, & Wayne's father in one of them. Many of the names sounded familiar; I remember Grandma & Grandpa talking about them. I also found some old postcards and an old photo album.
Pile of stuff.
I found these old postcards in that pile.
I also found this old AM/FM radio & cassette tape player. The radio doesn't work; not sure about the tape player.
Also found this.

I also found out more about how Grandma & Grandpa moved to this location on Kynnersley from a couple of the annual reports. Apparently in 1959 the sugar company started an employee home ownership program. Existing plantation houses were sold to workers at cost and the lots were sold for $1. The Kynnersley subdivision was slated to contain 196 houses; I'm not sure how many are really here. But I did find a photo taken from the top of the subdivision, showing Grandma & Grandpa's bare lot next to Jessie's bare lot. Dena's grandparent's house (which is immediately to the north of us) is the only house at the top of the hill present on the east side of the road. On the west side Jessie's brother Ray's house is there at the top of the hill.


For dinner I defrosted a vacuum-sealed bag of Vinha d'ahlos that Jessie made about 1&1/2 years ago. It was still good as ever!


I saw Mom Cat again this morning. She was by herself. But she ate her fill at the bowl.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Brian & Akua! Today is the 1st anniversary of Xander's death, he was a good cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment