Thursday, June 13, 2019

Walkway Is Done!

When I passed by Art's place this morning I noticed that his new walkway appears to be done! The decking goes all the way from the bricks  by the roadway down to the bricks by the entryway. It looks very nice!


During my morning walk I saw LaVie near the bus stop; she said she saw the White Cockatoo (Cacatua alba) a couple of days ago. It was sitting in a tree that she could see from her walk near the bus stop. She said she called to it and it answered her; she did that several times; then her bus came. About 10 minutes later, as I was on the lower portion of Lurline, I heard it calling! I was able to find a spot where I could see it in Tree #4; I took a photo but it isn't very good. Besides LaVie, during my cool down stretches I also saw Ona & Rio and Ken walking the early-rising dogs.
Two minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Sixteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
The White Cockatoo in trees near the park.

Here's that avocado I mentioned yesterday, I got another 'after' photo.
The avocado yesterday.
The avocado today.

Dad was sitting in the Orchid Dining Room at a table with Mr. Watanabe, Mrs. Akiyama, & Mr. Miyahira when I arrived. He had already finished all of his fried egg sandwich & most of his papaya. He still needed to eat the banana; he had not touched any fluids.

After breakfast Dad wanted to go out to the Wellness Center Courtyard to look for Popokilani; we weren't able to find her. So Dad sat in the shade of the umbrella I held for him and enjoyed the view. While we were there I saw a lone Manu-o-Kū heading out to sea; at least that's what it looked like to me without binoculars. It's flight cadence was like a Manu-o-Kū and not like either a Cattle Egret or White Cockatoo; it also was headed directly out to sea and not to a tree or other perch. And it didn't do a lot of soaring like a White-tailed Tropicbird; but I could not see well enough to see if there were any long tail feathers. On my next visit to the eye doctor I'll have to see if she will correct my vision to 20/10 so I can see birds a little clearer!

On the way back in I had to use the bathroom, so I parked Dad in the activity room. When I got back he was happily doing the exercises so I let him stay. Later CNA Susie came around & asked him if he wanted to do Namaste; he did! So I let them take him to the Wellness Center while I went to get ready for my walk.

During my mid-morning walk I noticed that they were trimming trees at the park. It looked like they might also trim the stand of trees that Tree #4 that the White Cockatoo has been perching in is located. I'll have to keep an eye on what's happening there. The road construction on Lurline near the sharp turn is almost done; they're fixing the drainage swale on the inside of the turn.



Dad was still in the wheelchair when I got back so we went out to the 2nd floor lanai for lunch. Lunch today was Salmon croquette, Steamed rice, Malibu blend veggies, Garden salad, Brownie, and Egg drop soup. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich & 2 brownies; he drank 120 ml of cranberry juice.



My afternoon walk was hot! But I prevailed! I did the whole 1.7 mile walk in about 38 minutes; so just a couple minutes slower than my normal speed. I think keeping well hydrated throughout the day helps me to be able to walk when its hot. How hot was it? Hawaii News Now says another record was broken today at 91 degrees F!


As I passed the upper part of the park I saw a Cattle Egret walking across the parking lot to the hillside below me; I wondered why. It looked like they took down a bunch more trees around the tennis & basketball courts; that's why the egret was in the upper part of the park. It looks like trees near the snag that the White Cockatoo likes to perch on have been removed; the snag was still there.
Cattle Egret.
Trees during my mid-morning walk.
Trees during my afternoon walk.

As I walked past the end of the park, out of the corner of my eye I saw a white bird flying by and behind a bunch of trees. The Cockatoo! As it emerged from behind the trees, I saw the long legs trailing; it was only the egret I had seen earlier at the park! Oh, well.

During my cool down stretches I could see Maui faintly in the distance. From Kohala it is much easier to see; I don't need to concentrate & focus as much to see Haleakala. When I see it from the living room window, I feel grounded. When I look at Haleakala from here, I feel like there is a hole in my soul. The future seems so far away.
Haleakala is there, its just very faint.

DT bought a fan that has a compartment for water. While there is water in the compartment it is an evaporative cooler; aka swamp cooler. When the water runs out its just a fan. He says it works ... as long as you are within a foot or so of the mist coming out of it.
The evaporative cooling fan.
S'mores isn't really sure she likes the new fan.

I saw Cat #11 Twin Cat again today and got a very good photo of it; well at least the back end of it.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Dante! Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanʻo #37 to Patricia & Marvin! And Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanaʻo #9 to Sally & Vincent!

No comments:

Post a Comment