Sunday, June 16, 2019

Happy Fathers' Day!

When we celebrated Fathers Day with Dad last year, he was confused; so we didn't do it this year.  But we did celebrate Fathers Day at Curtis' house. Brent grilled steaks for everyone. Lori also made sauteed mushrooms, sauteed onions, shrimp, corn on the cob, salad, brownies, & banana cream bites.
Brent grills the steaks under supervision by Salty.


Dad ate breakfast in the Orchid Dining Room with the female residents and Mr. Miyahira; the mobile male residents were at the Fathers Day breakfast in the main Plumeria Dining Room on the 3rd floor. Dad shared a table with Mrs. Saito, who is in the room next to his. He ate a couple bites of his fried egg sandwich, all of his papaya, and all of his banana. He drank 120 ml apple juice but no water.


After breakfast we went to look for Popokilani but she wasn't there. Since another resident was already at the Wellness Center Courtyard overlook, we went to the 3rd floor lana'i that is off of the Castle Living Room. While Dad was enjoying the view I opened up my laptop; I had been using the signal from my portable hot spot since the Maunalani guest signal was being wonky again today. When I opened up the wi-fi app to reconnect to my hot spot, I couldn't find it! But I did find about 15 other wi-fi signals, including one called "Kelly's ...". My hot spot was only about 50 feet away, Kelly's (if that was his) would be at least 10 times farther! I ended up using the Maunalani signal which was working again & had 4 bars. The other signals had 3 or 4 bars.
My laptop is lined up with Kelly's house, which is at least 500 feet away.
The red line is the approximate straight route to my hot spot in Dad's room on the lower floor.
There were ferns growing in the decking.

When I got back to Dad's room I lined up the location of my hot spot with where we were on the lana'i. The signal would have had to go through 2 walls and a bunch of interference from metal railings to get to my laptop; I guess that's why it didn't show up on the list. In Dad's room I can usually only get MGuest (the Maunalani signal for guests) and HT355; both had 2 bars today. My hot spot had 4 bars.

My morning walk was relatively cool and breezy. When I was passing by Koa & Kuma's house, I saw Twin Cat (#11) walking up the hill towards me. It turns out Twin Cat is somewhat sociable; she came up to me and let me pet her for a little bit. After I left Twin Cat I saw Kelly & Abby starting around the circle on their morning walk; if I had not stopped for Twin Cat our paths would have been the same for a block or so. I didn't see any other regulars on the rest of my walk including LaVie. And I forgot to check whether I could see Tree #5 again. During my cool down stretches I saw Ken & the early-rising dogs walk by.
Eleven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Seven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Twin Cat (#11) came by to say Good Morning!
Kelly & Abby start their lap around the circle.
A pair of Java Sparrows is starting a nest on this loose piece of facia.

I ended up skipping my mid-morning walk; Mr. Pires & his daughter Pattie had returned from the Fathers' Day breakfast. She had some questions, so while her father took a nap we talked until she had to leave. Hopefully she can get him moved to the 3rd floor where the more mobile residents are located; I think he would like it better since he is more sociable than Dad.

Lunch today was Roast beef, Mashed potatoes, Seasoned green beans, Garden salad, Red velvet cake, and Potato chowder. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 2 desserts. He drank 120 ml apple juice and 60 ml water.


Here is my set up for most of the photos I take of lunch. When we eat in Dad's room, I put the tray on the chair, then take the photo looking straight down on the tray; I crop the photo to the edges of the tray. The photos now have a lot of natural light on them from the window. I moved the curtain so it reflects more light on to the tray; the photos should look better now.

I also skipped the afternoon walk; Brent needed a ride to Curtis' house and wanted to leave by 4 so he could make sure all the grilling was done by 7. He could have taken the bus but he would have had to leave a lot earlier. I volunteered to give him a ride since he was doing the grilling.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Winifred & Pete! And Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanaʻo #6 to Brenda & Melanie!

No comments:

Post a Comment