Friday, June 21, 2019

Happy Summer Solstice!

It arrived here this morning at 5:54; here's the photo I took. I hope you enjoy this view of Leʻahi at the moment of the summer solstice!


I arrived in Dad's room at about 8 this morning; he had already finished all of his fried egg sandwich, papaya, & banana, as well as 120 ml of juice & water. Yay, Dad!

I was "late" because I stopped to talk to Wendy during my morning walk; she was walking Bella & Micky. While we were talking Ona came by & asked a question about Wendy's torch at the front gate. It's a really nice looking solar-powered free-standing torch that she got on Amazon. Apparently the light flickers so it looks more like a real than other solar torches; she has them lining the sidewalk down to the house. Hmmm, I should have taken a photo for you; tomorrow.

It rained a lot about an hour before sunrise; I thought I might not be able to walk this morning but I got ready anyway. I checked out the clouds on my way up; it looked promising. When I got to Maunalani it looked even better for a walk & it was! I saw LaVie on her way to the bus stop. During my cool down stretches I saw Ken with the early-rising dogs; Kelly & Abby also went by.
Fifteen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Six minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Twelve minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
The Red Junglefowl (domestic type) was checking out the pick-up.

I saw the White Cockatoo (Cacatua alba) this morning! It was in Tree #2 for maybe 10 minutes before it flew off. I wasn't watching when I left so I don't know where it went.


While I was sitting with Dad, Curtis showed up! He forgot that I said I would come in today and take off tomorrow to help Brent with the garage sale. It worked out better for Curtis to sit with Dad today so I did my mid-morning walk and went home.

It was overcast with a light breeze during my mid-morning walk. I could see that it was misting in Kaimuki town. Later it started misting as I was below the park; it seems to frequently begin precipitating when I am at the farthest point of my walk. It was refreshing; fortunately it didn't get any heavier.

The solstice viewpoint at mid-morning.
I have no idea what he's doing. There were no dogs or children, just an empty field.
They're trimming shrubs around the edge of the park.
Another baby bird that fell out of its nest; I think it is a Common Myna.

While I was doing my cool down stretches on the 3rd floor landing I saw a bunch of white birds! I saw a pair of White-tailed Tropicbirds flying from Palolo to Kapahulu. Shortly after that I saw an individual Manu-o-Kū flying out sea; it was coming from Palolo Valley. And finally I saw a Cattle Egret flying over the lower part of Wilhelmina Rise.

After using the La Roche-Posay Anthelios 50 Mineral sunscreen, I decided to revise my sunscreen regimen. In 2021, sunscreens containing the ingredients oxybenzone and octinoxate will not be allowed to be sold here; I have started looking in to products that do not contain these ingredients. Although these are the only chemicals that will be banned, others are also potentially harmful to reefs. I use long-sleeved UPF shirts to reduce the amount of sunscreen I need to use. I have discovered that almost all chemical sunscreens higher than SPF 30 contain oxybenzone or octinoxate or both. Since my first walk starts about 10 minutes before sunrise I will continue using my SPF 15 moisturizer which does not have oxybenzone or octinoxate and contains less of the other sunscreen chemicals than SPF 30 sunscreens. I am changing my mid-morning sunscreen from an SPF 50 to an SPF 30 that has no oxybenzone or octinoxate. And for my afternoon sunscreen I will be using the La Roche-Posay SPF 50 mineral sunscreen on my face instead of the SPF 50 chemical sunscreens that I am currently using. Here are 2 of the sunscreens that I will be trying.
The SPF 30 is for mid-morning & the SPF 50 is for my legs.


I also wear a hat to shade my face. While cleaning up today I found an unopened Amazon box; it was addressed to me. There was a hat in it; I had not ordered one. I texted Anne, who had sent me another hat earlier. She said, "😂, surprise! It has a hole for your pony tail 😁" I'll try it out tomorrow.


Luna & S'mores spent a bunch of time in the entry way cooling off. They also spent time checking out pedestrian traffic.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Shannen, Vi, & Rylee!

No comments:

Post a Comment