Friday, June 14, 2019

Weeding Pau ... for Now

I did more weeding of the hāpuʻu and palapalai; it should hold for a while. Because I herniated a disc a number of years ago I can only handle a short time of weeding. Until I can get back to it I need to keep an eye on the grass that has grown in to the area; some runners were under one of the palapalai. If I continue to see grass under that palapalai I will need to dig it up in the fall/winter, remove the runners and hope the cooler  & wetter weather helps the palapalai settle back in for the next summer.
After 1st weeding, 05/31.
After today's weeding.
                                                                                                                       
The hāpuʻu is doing much better than I anticipated. There is one new frond unfurling; it is about a foot tall right now. And there is a new frond hidden in the apex. Only one of the older fronds has been showing signs of heat stress; I will be adding another sprayer so the area around the fronds will be cooler. I trimmed off the brown leaflets so it looks better.

I had mud all over my hands from the weeding even with gloves on. I was using cloth gloves because I couldn't find my rubberized gloves. Before driving away I cleaned my hands up with hand wipes so I wouldn't get mud all over the steering wheel. When I got home I found out I had mud on my left leg even up on my thigh. I couldn't figure out how I managed to do that!


During my morning walk I saw Romeo out walking with Karpo; I asked him about the new wall. He said the tree had to be removed because it was breaking up the old wall and it was right above the neighbor's grandmother's room; every time it was windy he said he had a sleepless night wondering whether the tree would go crashing through Grandma's room. We talked about replacing the tree with a multi-stemmed shrub so it wouldn't do much damage if it went over.
Six minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Fourteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
The new wall at Romeo's; Grandma's room is to the right.

I saw LaVie on her way to the bus stop; we talked more about the White Cockatoo. I told her to check out the blog to see all the trees I had seen the cockatoo perching in. I also saw Mary & Noe on my walk. During my cool down stretches I saw Ona & Lorraine walk by. And I also saw a flattened Spotted Dove, a victim of the breeding season.
Sight lines to cockatoo perch trees. (Google Maps)
Another breeding season victim.

I did laundry today, I needed to do laundry. I skipped doing laundry last Friday because I was in Kohala so I had a lot of laundry to do. I was almost out of shorts and most of my UPF shirts were dirty. While I was out hanging the laundry I checked Mom's orchids as usual. The last orchid she grew seems to be doing better; I still need to take some time to pot it up properly. The blooms on the  last orchid Mom received as a gift are almost done. I also discovered I have a scratch on my right shin, no idea how that happened either.
Mom's last orchid.
Mom's last gift orchid.
Where did that scratch come from?

I was getting ready to leave for my mid-morning walk I noticed that the temperature in the garage was 98 degrees F! Unfortunately I forgot to check what it was up at Maunalani but I'm sure it was less because it always if. As I was walking, Kelly drove by; he was the only regular I saw during this walk.



As I was leaving for my afternoon walk the temperature was 95 degrees F! Once again I forgot to take a photo up at Maunalani. I discovered I had lost my SPF30 lip balm; it has a very faint sweet taste. I serendipitously discovered that after I start sweating during my walk my lips taste like li hing mui! Which is much better than the taste of most sunscreen. FYI When S'mores was much younger, and chewing on everyone, she only chewed on me a couple of times because I used sunscreen. While I was getting the lip balm I also picked up a tube of reef-safe sunscreen.





I also made a trip to Kokua Market to check if Abdul wanted more pomelo. I'm not sure why there was a traffic jam at University Plaza, but there was. Their parking lot was full but there were people from both directions trying to turn in to their lot; they ended up just having to drive through.
Keep watching the car in my side mirror.
I was able to safely follow this guy in the Leaf through the intersection.
This guy that was behind me should not have gone through the intersection, now he's in the wrong lane.
He forced his way through traffic.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Mary Kay!

No comments:

Post a Comment