Sunday, June 23, 2019

Happy 100th Birthday, Mrs. Shibuya!

Last year I noted in the calendar on my phone that today was Mrs. Shibuya's birthday. I noted that she would be 100 today. But sometimes my phone does weird things & changes data, so I double checked with staff. And, yes, it is Mrs. Shibuya's 100th birthday today! She is in fairly good health, she wheels herself around most of the time, and she attends many of the events. During the exercise session she does as many of the exercises that she is able to do. And she seems to be able to remember things better than most of the other residents.

During my morning walk it was fairly uneventful. I saw LaVie on her way up to the bus stop, Ronnie watering her plants, & Calvin picking up recyclables; he usually only goes up to the park but today he felt energetic so he decided to go all the way to the top of Sierra! I saw that Kelly had some additional building materials dropped off at his house yesterday. I saw Shy Cat & Sleepy Cat.
Eighteen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Seven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Sixteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Shy Cat.

As I was nearing the top of Lurline on my morning walk I heard the Rose-ringed Parakeets, Red-vented Bulbuls, and Common Mynas making a racket further up the hill. I looked up in time to see and hear the White Cockatoo screeching as it flew by! I was unable to get a photo because everything happened so fast! The other birds drove the cockatoo off, just like Ken told me he had seen a couple of times.

During my cool down stretches Lorraine came walking down the driveway; she was carrying something. She had a handful of double pikake blossoms & was hoping to see Steph, Ona, & me so she could give us some. They were so fragrant! Dad couldn't smell them, so I pinned them to the bulletin board so they could make the whole room smell nice. After her plants stop blooming Lorraine & I will get together so I can get some cuttings & plant them at Dad's house. Later I saw Ken with the early-rising dogs.
Lorraine with her handful of pikake blossoms.
Here's the 2 she gave me; they're larger than a quarter!
On Dad's bulletin board.

Dad was eating breakfast in bed when I arrived. He quickly finished off his fried egg sandwich, papaya, & banana; he also drank 120 ml cranberry juice but no water. He went back to sleep immediately after that.

The sky was mostly overcast during my mid-morning walk, which made it cooler even though there was hardly any breeze. I did not see any regulars during my walk but I did see that Kelly had returned from surfing in the morning. Later, when I was doing my cool down stretches on the 3rd floor landing I could hear hammering sounds from across the ravine; it sounded like may be they were working on putting up the forms for Kelly's retaining wall; it wasn't regular enough to be framing for a room.
Flattened Red-vented Bulbul.
This is why I think he went surfing.

Lunch today was Baked glazed ham, Baked sweet potatoes, Steamed corn, Tossed salad, Oatmeal cookie, and Minestrone soup. Obviously that was not minestrone soup on my tray, it was cream of mushroom. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 2 cookies; he drank 120 ml apple juice and 60 ml water.


Because Curtis was leaving for Las Vegas tonight he did not come up in the afternoon; so I needed to help get Dad to take a shower. Usually I am coming back in to his room as he is finishing his shower, so I started my afternoon walk about an hour earlier than usual so I could be back before the shift change. Good thing! I did have to convince him to let CNAs Angie & Linda give him a shower. The walk itself was uneventful.


Since I was staying for the shower, I also stayed for dinner which was Teriyaki steak, Steamed rice, Malibu blend veggies, Fruit salad with whip cream, and Won ton soup. And, yes, I ate the won ton soup; that is the most carbs I got today. At home I have one more bag of salad & the kale from Abdul in the refrigerator; I might have to snack on them when I get home because I don't think they will last until Curtis gets back from Las Vegas on Friday.


I was also going to walk just before I left to burn a few more calories. And also see how much cooler it would be in the evening on these Kona weather days. But that was just a thought and never became reality! May be tomorrow ...

I met RN Sarah's daughter Elena who is visiting for a month; she leaves in a week. Elena is interested in photography so I showed her Tomiko's website and Instagram page; she liked them! RN Sarah also liked Tomiko's work.

All the roommates were gone last night so I had to feed Luna & S'mores this morning. I think the cats have figured out that if everyone else is gone I am the source of food because they were in my bathroom first thing this morning when they heard me leave my bedroom!

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Mrs. Shibuya, Jim, & Kyfu!

No comments:

Post a Comment