Wednesday, June 19, 2019

New Mister

I added a 3rd mister for the hāpuʻu. With the record breaking temperatures the edges of one of the fronds were getting too hot & dry since it was not as close to the spray pattern for the upper mister. I added the new mister & hope it will fix this problem. The 1st new mister I installed was a dud; it just dribbled. I was so glad I had 2 misters with me but I was so focused on changing it out I forgot to take a photo of the dribbler. The 2nd new mister worked! I was so happy, I forgot to take a photo of it also! So all you're getting is the 'before' photo.


During my morning walk it felt muggy even though there was a light  breeze; on the news last night they did say there would be changes in the trade winds this week. During my walk I only saw Mary twice. During my cool down stretches I saw Ona & Rio go by and Ken waved as he walked the early-rising dogs. If walkers go clockwise around the circle they look straight down to where I am stretching as they check for cars exiting the parking lot; going counter-clockwise they can't see me unless they look back over their shoulder as they pass the driveway & I've never seen anyone do that.
Twenty-two minutes before sunrise from Waiʻalae.
Eleven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Seven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

I saw Koa & Kuma's cat friend as well as Twin Cat this morning.
Koa & Kuma's friend, Cat #5.
Cat #11, Twin Cat.

The night-blooming cereus had 4 open blooms today; yesterday's bloom was dried up. I noticed something today that I had not noticed before, there is a small stalk with pistils offset from the circle of anthers. I did some research and I'm pretty sure these are the panini-o-ka-punahou, or Punahou cactus (Hylocereus undatus). The fruit is called pitaya, pitahaya, or dragon fruit; I will have to watch for fruit and check it out if I see one. Lem planted a dragon fruit at the Kohala house for me, this does look kinda like it.
Today's 4 night-blooming cereus flowers.
Yesterday's bloom is in the lower right.
Close-up of blossom.
A new bud.

CNA Jessa had just gotten Dad in to his wheelchair & was taking him to the Orchid Dining Room when I arrived; I followed them in. Dad shared a table with Mrs. Yoshimura; later Mr. Kam joined us. Dad ate all of his fried egg sandwich and all of his papaya; he hid the banana in his blanket. He drank 120 ml orange juice & 60 ml coffee but no water.

After breakfast I was able to get Dad to go out to look for Popokilani but we couldn't find her. I took him to the Wellness Center Courtyard but his okole was so sore the view was not interesting enough to distract him. He went back to bed shortly after that.

On my mid-morning walk I saw LaVie at the bus shelter with Kila & Tazzie. I found out I did not see her in the morning because she was running late & just barely caught the bus when it arrived; I was already on Lurline when I heard the bus go by this morning. I did not see any other regulars. The night-blooming cereus blooms were all wilted.

The wilted night-blooming cereus blooms.

I also found something unusual on my mid-morning walk, a crayfish! It was sitting in the middle of the road. It looked like it was heading somewhere, but it won't get there. It was dead but it had not been there that long, it was still not totally dried out. I will have to find out from Ken if where it might have come from. (It was in front of the house next to his.)

I took a photo of the underside because sometimes ID characteristics are on the underside.

I also found a dead baby bird; it had apparently fallen out of the nest. It was near the ephemeral stream bed. I hear a lot of Spotted Doves in the trees there during the morning, because of that and its size I think it might be a baby Spotted Dove.


Lunch today was Shepherd's pie, Seasoned broccoli florets, Tossed salad, Ambrosia, and Chicken & wild rice soup. I was able to peel off the cheese topping without getting much mashed potato and I scooped out the hamburger portion of the shepherd's pie as well. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 2 ambrosia desserts! He drank 120 ml of apple juice, then went to sleep.


It was hot this afternoon when I started my walk. I had prepared myself by drinking water before my walk & making sure I used enough sunscreen. I also took advantage of every patch of shade that was within the right-of-way and not occupied by a vehicle. I was so focused on staying cool I forgot to look for the crayfish but I did find the baby bird; it was in the shade. On the news tonight they said we broke another heat record for today, 92 degrees F! Aue!


I tried the new La Roche-Posay Anthelios 50 Mineral sunscreen. I like it! The titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are suspended in liquid. It goes on very easily & does not leave a white sheen; its worth the extra cost.

I removed the Purr Pad from the bottom shelf of the cart by the back door; Chibi used to sleep there but I had seen neither Luna nor S'mores using it. I told DT he could use it to keep his shoes & slippers off the floor. So today I come home & find Luna sleeping there! I think she liked it without the Purr Pad since it helps to retain heat; with these record high temperatures the Purr Pad must have been uncomfortable.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Tom & Bruddah Ace! And Happy Juneteenth!

No comments:

Post a Comment