Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Flash Flood Aftermath

As I mentioned last night, the island was under a flash flood warning. One part of H-1 was closed due to water standing on the freeway; the app on my phone said it would take me 31 minutes to get to the airport instead of the usual 15 minutes. While on my way there I noticed several other cars taking the same detour I was on; I guess we were all using the same app!
Last night's weather news. (from KGMB)
Flooded freeway last night. (from KGMB)
At the cell phone lot waiting for Calvin last night.

I think it rained all last night; at least, every time I woke up it was raining. It was raining when I got up this morning; I decided to still go up to check out the conditions. It was drizzling when I left the house; I got my poncho out of the back of the car. When I got to the parking lot it had slowed down more; I put on the poncho & started my walk. Before I finished the circle, the precipitation had slowed down so much I took the poncho off; I was getting wetter from sweat than from precipitation. I did fine for the rest of the walk. I saw Wendy with Bella & Mickey at Bailey's house; Kelly & Abby also started their walk but went downhill so Abby wouldn't get excited by the other dogs.
My view of the rain at home.
Seventeen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Three minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
On Maunalani Circle, compare to yesterday's photo in the fog.
Fourteen minutes past sunrise on Sierra.

I only saw Ken & the early-rising dogs while I was doing my cool down stretches. I thought it was unusual that I did not see LaVie or the Lady in Pink since there was less rain today than there was yesterday when they were the only hard core ones out there. I did see the chicken; it was wet & looked miserable. I raised both chickens & ducks in western Washington; the ducks always enjoyed it more when it rained. The chickens would hide under the truck while it rained; the ducks would be running around outside, happily quacking & hunting for slugs!
Wet junglefowl!
Clouds over Leʻahi.
She still did not like the weather!

Dad was eating breakfast in bed this morning. He finished all of his fried egg sandwich and papaya; he saved the banana for later. He drank 120 ml of his orange juice but none of his water.

My mid-morning walk was dry! Overcast but dry, which is a great combination; a nice breeze would have made it perfect, but I had to do with just a little breeze. Leslie & Ipo were the only regulars that I saw as I was walking. I checked in with Leslie about her mom who is in another nursing home; both our parents are doing well for their age.
There was more debris & a higher flood line than yesterday.

I forgot to mention yesterday that Mr. Pires' daughter Pattie is trying aromatherapy with lavender oil to see if that will help calm him so he can sleep through the night. Yesterday she turned on the diffuser when she left just before dinner. It did not smell like lavender; I'm not sure what it smelled like but it was very strong & filled the entire room. After about 30 minutes I started to get a headache; I thought it might be the keto flu. But when I went upstairs to the bathroom it cleared up! The headache came back when I had to sit in the room again. I talked to LPN Rio, she turned the diffuser off & said it should only be on at night if that is the time that he is having problems. When I got back from my mid-morning walk today I thought I smelled it but it was very faint so I thought it was just residual from yesterday. Later I got a headache so when CNA Jessa came in I asked her to check, the diffuser was on again; she turned it off since Mr. Pires was going to the dining room. I used to grow lavender, harvest it regularly, dry it in my living room, and make crafts with it. I never got a headache from it. I think her lavender oil is in a carrier oil or something else that I am reacting to; perhaps a different brand will be better.

Lunch today was Garlic chicken, Brown rice, Tuscan mix vegetables, Garden salad, Carrot cake, and Thai chicken curry & rice soup. Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 2 pieces of carrot cake; he drank 120 ml apple juice but no water.

This is what it looks like after I am done. Dad has the dessert on his tray.

My afternoon walk was the best one of the day! It was dry but cool & breezy! It stayed overcast all day, that plus the rain last night kept everything cool. And on top of that there was the afternoon breeze. The only regular I saw this afternoon was Andrei, he had just finished his laps around the circle and was walking back down the hill.


Dad had his shower this evening; CNA JP is great with Dad! But Curtis also has Dad believing that he has been ordering a "special" quick shower where he doesn't have to do anything except sit back in the special chair and relax! It has been working for now. So I told Dad that before Curtis left for Las Vegas, he had ordered a special shower for him today; Dad said next time he wants his special shower in Las Vegas!

Shortly after Dad's shower, I got a text from The Potential Most Favorite Roommate asking, "What kind of bird is this [sic]" and the following photo. When I asked if it was near water, he said, "My coworker was walking by a camel on Kalakaua by fabric mart [sic]". The bird is a Black-crowned Night-heron (Nycticorax nycticorax); this is a juvenile bird. (I gave him a little incorrect information because I thought the females also had this coloration; they do not, all adults have white chest & belly with light gray wings and black on top of their heads and back.) And it was a canal that his co-worker was walking past; I noticed the water after I asked the question.

I talked to Pattie when she came in just before dinner. The aromatherapy was suggested by a health care provider; Pattie herself is sensitive to fragrances. She said it should only be on in the evening, after dinner. She said if it is on at a different time to feel free to turn it off; I told her I would also turn it back on when I left. She said to let Curtis know about it, too. She also said the only thing she could find with lavender also had almond extract, which sounds a little weird to me. Lavender & almonds? Whatever.

Dinner was Beef & cheese macaroni, Stir fry vegetable blend, Orange trifle, Country beef & vegetable soup. Dad ate all his 1/2 tuna sandwich and 2 desserts; he drank 120 ml apple juice but no water.
On the other pasta dishes I can just eat the topping, but I can't separate the pasta for this macaroni dish.

Calvin got to meet both cats when he returned this evening. Luna came up to him but S'mores stayed several feet out of reach and would run from hiding place to hiding place and peak out at him. Calvin was able to easily walk to the zoo & get reacquainted, do some grocery shopping, and also practice his violin. He was excited to learn that 2 of the roommates are in the community orchestra.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to cousin Valerie and Mariah!

No comments:

Post a Comment