Saturday, June 5, 2021

Aloha ʻOe, Susan!

Susan left today; I dropped her off at the airport around 11:30 this morning. It was a short visit with her but very full of a lot of fun activities!

The white bag is full of snacks for on the plane.

Similar to the other days she was here, the morning was filled with eating & running around doing things! We started by meeting her childhood friend Ronelle for breakfast at Koa Pancake House. Susan had the Guava Lava Mochi Waffle with a side of eggs and a buttermilk pancake, Ronelle had the Eggs Benedict, and I had the Vinha Dʻalhos Breakfast Plate.

Placing our order from the menu board.
One of their COVID-19 precautions.
Another COVID-19 precaution.
Susan with the Guave Lava Mochi Waffle.
Ronelle with the Eggs Benedict.
Part of my Vinha D'alhos Breakfast Plate; the pancakes are out of the photo.
Susan & Ronelle called her brother Derick.

After breakfast Ronelle walked us over to Sconees Bakery which was about half a block away. She wanted to pick up some mango bars & lilikoi bars but they were all gone! Auē! I will have to check them out some other time. As we passed Otto Cake, Ronelle remarked that they had the best cheesecake.

Then we went to Longs to see if we could find the Hawaiian-themed Hanafuda cards that Susan had seen at the KTA in Kona. No luck. We decided to try Don Quijote but 1st we went back to the house to get Susan's luggage so we wouldn't have to back track. While at the house Susan realized that she had forgotten to look for the Kapaemahu that are on the beach in Waikīkī. I had never heard of them but with a little bit of Googling was able to find them, so we headed there. She took a series of photos and also a video.

Susan at Kapaemahu.
(From www.kapaemahu.com.)

We decided to skip the trip to Don Quijote for the Hanafuda cards since Susan found she could get them online. Instead, she wanted to see the view from Maunalani, so we did that. 


On the way back from dropping Susan off at the airport, I stopped at Don Quijote. I found the Hawaiian-themed Hanafuda cards! Later I found out on line that there is a place in Seattle where Susan can pick them up. Auē!   


While I was at DQ, I got a text from Paris. She has introduced Isamu to his 1st michelada. Not being a beer drinker, I can't tell you much about it; I will have to ask Paris more. 

Dos micheladas. (Photo by Paris)

For lunch I had a small slice of each of the desserts we picked up yesterday from Pipeline Bakeshop & Creamery. The previous evening I had put together a small to go container with a piece each of Haupia Ube Macadamia Bar and Lilikoi Creamcheese Bar for Susan; I included a small plastic fork & a napkin. I also wrote "Top" on the top so the TSA folks would be sure to keep it right side up when they scanned it! Susan also took home the malasadas, as well as a Spam musubi and a chicken musubi to eat on the plane since she was flying on Alaska Airline which does not provide a complimentary meal.

Clockwise from top: Ube Bar, Lilikoi Cheesecake Bar, Haupia Ube Macadamia Bar, & Pumpkin Crunch.

The Aix weather app forecast a partly sunny day here in Honolulu. rain in Kapaʻau, and lots of rain with thunder & lightening in Seattle area. It was pretty accurate for here, but the webcam from the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope did not show rain clouds. I'm not sure what it was like in Puget Sound.

Looked like it was a decent day.

I was unable to find more rentals for Sarah & Evan. Which gave me time to finalize the rubric & housing chart that I started a few days ago. I put in all the rentals that were still available, then scored them. I sent the chart off to Sarah & Evan to give them a starting place for their search. 

I did the same when helping Kai find his place.

The rest of the day was uneventful compared to the last couple of days. The next few days will be filled with sorting & packing to get things ready to send the Crosstrek to Hawai'i Island in July.

There were 64 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 36,535. There was also 1 new death reported bringing the death toll up to 502; currently there are 671 cases considered active. 


No comments:

Post a Comment