Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Everyoneʻs a Winner!

Got a text from Curtis this morning saying, "Everyone's a winner!" He got a royal flush! 

(Photo by Curtis)

I had the last of the beet greens in my proothie this morning. Tomorrow it will be fennel greens again! Yum!


Well it looks like Sarah, Evan, & Kaia will not be moving to Hawaiʻi Island this summer; Evan did not get the job at Hawaiʻi Preparatory Academy. So I will also not be shipping my car over since they won't be living there. And David & his girlfriend Sarah are not coming over for Obon either. This makes my life much easier since I won't have to pack boxes to fill the car!

I cleared out the stack of stuff Mom had in the corner of the dining room. And found a bunch of stuff that I had forgotten about, like the electric knife that I think Curtis might appreciate when he does his holiday meat carving. 


I got an email from Tomiko this evening; she & David are getting married in August! In Utah. I will have to see how rental cars are there before committing to being at the wedding.

(Photo by Tomiko)


Keala's favorite morning nap site is one of the higher platforms of the cat tree. Later, when the sun is in higher in the sky, she likes to be in the cat run. Luna's morning nap site is generally one of the cat carriers; later she tends to nap on The Roommates' bed. S'mores is generally found under the lower bunk bed throughout the day; much like Chibi could be found under the living room sofa.

Keala on top of the cat tree.
Keala in the cat run.
Luna in one of the carriers.

I texted the woman I was trying to connect with last year about getting anthuriums. I got a return text saying, "I'm really sorry the person you're trying to get in touch with changed her/his number." So I went back online to Craigslist which is where Bill found her original post. I found someone using the same photos but now the anthuriums are 50 for $100; last year it was 100 for $100. I'll have to check if this is the same person.


I forgot to grab a screen shot of the Aix weather app, but I did get photos from several locations around Hawaiʻi Island. The one closest to Kapaʻau is Waikoloa which is in South Kohala (the house is in North Kohala); it's about 32 miles away on the west coast. The next closest one is the Canada-France-Hawaiʻi Telescope which is about 65 miles away near the summit of Mauna Kea. The final one is at the Pacific Tsunami Museum in Hilo; it's about 77 miles away on the east coast. Kapaʻau is near the northerly most point of the island, kind of on the break between the wet side and the dry side of the island but a little bit more towards the wet side. It looks like, at least in the evening, it was generally cloudy but no precipitation in the early evening.

Waikoloa at 7:16 p.m.
CFHT webcam at 7:16 p.m.
Hilo Bay at 7:17 p.m.

I guess I could have a worse problem than feral pigs; I could have to deal with wild elephants breaking in to the house. I would have to get a better fence to keep them out so I guess I am lucky I only have to deal with pigs.


Dr. Ron's COVIDEO #3 is called Understanding Cytokines & Inflammation. There are pro-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokines. Our lifestyle behaviors can affect the amounts of cytokines that are in our bodies; future COVIDEOs will discuss what we can do to lower our cytokine levels. 


It looks like the Delta variant is now being transmitted here through community spread. Theoretically, it could have been here slightly earlier since they are only subsampling. Regardless, the important thing to take note of is that it's here & it's 50% to 60% more transmissible than the usual COVID-19. In other areas, they are finding that COVID cases that require hospitalization are predominantly the Delta variant and those patients are unvaccinated. The 7-day new case average for Oʻahu is 21 with a positivity rate of 1.1%.

 

There were 20 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 37,387. There were no new deaths reported so the death toll remains at 513; currently there are 622 cases considered active. 


Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanaʻo makahiki kanakolu kumamāiwa e John & Ruth!

No comments:

Post a Comment