Thursday, June 3, 2021

Breakfast at Sweet E's

This morning I started out by meeting Paris for breakfast at Sweet E's Café; there was no parking & quite a number of people waiting when I 1st pulled in. I didn't see Paris so I called her; I left a message. Then I went around the block, which is quite a long block. On the way around the block I went by Café Kaila to see if they would be a better option for breakfast; they were just slightly less busy. I entered the Sweet E's parking lot again, just as another car was pulling out. Hulō! 

I called Paris again & left another message; then I put my name on the wait list. After they seated me, I called & left another message. And she called back! She had overslept but would be over in about 5 minutes; the timing worked out well. Paris had the Kalua Pork Benedict and I had the Hawaiian Omelette. We had a great time catching up on what's happening; it was also a congratulations breakfast from me to Paris for her new job as at a local Montessori school & her relationship which is going well.

Paris with her Kalua Pork Eggs Benedict.
Hawaiian Extraordinary Omelet.
The insides of the omelet.

After breakfast,we briefly stopped at the Humane Society for Paris to get some info on volunteering there. Then we went to Thang's French Coffee & Bubble Tea for bubble tea. Paris had the Watermelon Strawberry and I had an Avocado Chocolate with boba. I will have to introduce Kai to this place.

Some of the flavors.

Avocado Chocolate with boba (L) and Watermelon Strawberry.

One of the errands I did while I was out this morning was to go back to City Mill to exchange the toilet seat for the correct size. Or I should say, a more correct size. Since the bowl is somewhat square in front rather than round, and all the replacement seats have round fronts, it still looks like I got the wrong one even though I didn't. I got the one that would fit best. Auē. 

This one fits better.
The replacement seat is round while the bowl is squarish so it still looks wrong.

I also got the style where you can easily remove the seat to clean around the pieces that attach the seat to the bowl. In hindsight, it looks like a likely point of failure. We shall see how long it lasts. 

The old broken pieces.
The debris that was trapped under the pieces.
All cleaned up.
The new plastic "hardware".
The Quick-Attach portion.
This is how the Quick-Attach hardware works.

While I was looking for a link to City Mill to include in the blog, I found out they have this great section on single-wall construction! (The Kohala house was built in 1926 so it is single-wall construction.) City Mill also listed items they carried for repairs to single wall construction houses. I am guessing that HPM (the large local City Mill-type business on Hawai'i Island) has a similar section but I will have to check that out. 


I also put fresh sheets & pillowcases on the bed Susan will be using. And closed the door so no cats could come in and I could also turn on the air conditioning to cool the room down; this is the hottest room in the house since it only has 1 window but the breeze is usually blocked by the house next door.


I called Kai to coordinate his visit for Obon; he was sitting in the 26' long box truck waiting for his return run to begin. He is now working 3 days a week; Tuesday, Thursday, & Saturday. But he is thinking of asking if he can work 2 back-to-back days because it would be physically better for him. He says there are a lot of rabbits on Whidbey Island; he sent me this photo. I thought it was a mushroom until I enlarged it so I could ID it; a lot of people send me mushroom photos asking for an ID.

It could be a mushroom.
Now it looks like a rabbit!

I picked Susan up at the airport later in the afternoon; she'll be here for a couple days before returning home. When we got back to the house, we discovered I accidentally trapped S'mores in the room; I did not see her under the bed so I assumed she was sleeping elsewhere but she was hiding. How did we know she was there if she was hiding? She left us a little present! Auē! On the plus side, Susan got to meet all the cats!

I got tickets for the Beyond Van Gogh exhibit that will be here in July when Kai is here. Kai is the one that told me about the Loving Vincent movie that was playing in 2017 & 2018, so I was pretty sure he would be interested in this exhibit. Even if you are not an artist I think you would like seeing Loving Vincent if you hear of it playing near you; it is "the world's first fully oil painted feature film". It was amazing! I think this exhibit will also be amazing.


Susan contacted 2 friends here on Oʻahu, but neither of them was available for dinner tonight. Since she wanted fresh fish we headed over to Nico's Pier 38 for dinner. Susan had the special catch of the day which was swordfish; I had the Furikake Pan-Seared Ahi. It was so good all you are getting is a photo of the empty plates!

One of the COVID-19 safety precautions.

We went to Via Gelato for dessert. It was not much of a contest since it was so late neither Pipeline Bakeshop & Creamery nor Otto Cake were open. Since Otto Cake was closed I actually parked in their parking spot while we walked across the street to Via Gelato. And earlier, while checking on Pipeline's hours, I discovered that Pipeline ships their  baked goods nationwide! Because it was raining, we ate our ice cream in the car instead of sitting in front of Via Gelato.


I could find absolutely no new rentals for Sarah & Evan to look at today. I am hoping for better luck tomorrow.

There was an article today about the map I noted as being new yesterday. It shows vaccination rates by zip code


There were 45 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 36,402. There was also 1 new death reported, increasing the death toll to 501; currently 685 cases are considered active.


Hau'oli lā Hānau e hoa hānau Richard, John, Oggie Richards, & DoQuyen!

3 comments:

  1. Is Sweet E’s where we went for Breakfast? I just remember the food was really great. Looks like you had a fun day - lots of activity.
    I love peeking at your posts every week or two. It’s a nice way to keep up with you being so far away. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Sweet E’s Where we went for breakfast? I just remember that the food was really great and they were huge quantities. Looks like you had a really fun and productive day with lots going on. It’s always nice to keep up with you through your blog. I don’t comment very often but I like feeling connected. Much love to honey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This is where we went for breakfast! Paris lives a few doors down, kinda half way between Sweet E's and Sekiya's where we had lunch with Cousin Ted.

      Delete