Sunday, June 20, 2021

Plant Shelf Sun Exposure

I was concerned that The Potential Most Favorite Roommate's proposed plant structure would not provide enough shade for his bonsai. This morning I propped the extension ladder across the opening, with the edge farthest from the wall at 2 feet. Two feet is how far the covering over the top of the plants is currently proposed. I took a series of photographs starting about 11:30 a.m. when it is beginning to heat up. Looks like around 1 p.m. pots on the floor level will probably be getting full sun; this lasts throughout the remainder of the day until the sun begins to set behind the neighbor's house. At the level of the lower edge of the decorative brick, they would start to be in full sun around 3 p.m. This is on the day of the Summer Solstice which occurred about 6 hours before the 1st photo. He will have to plan well so his plants get the amount of sun that is good for them.

At 11:28 a.m., shade extends 26" from wall at lanaʻi floor.
At 12:26 p.m.; shade 22" from wall. It was a little overcast so shadows are indistinct.
At 1:32 p.m.; shade 4" from wall at floor & 14" at lower edge of decorative brick.
At 2:26 p.m.; shade about 8" at lower edge of decorative brick.
At 3:16 p.m.; no shade.
At 4:40p.m.

Before I went to bed last night I decided to see if the family room i7+ Roomba would work again; it's been a couple months since I have run it. Around March some time it started having problems; it would run for a few minutes then say the rubbish bin needed to be emptied. But the bin was already empty. It would also direct us to the app for further instructions; the app said empty the rubbish bin. Auē! I tried it several times, a few days apart, but still kept getting the error message so I stopped trying & began to look for a local repair place but found none. I decided to try it again last night and it worked! I ran it again this morning & it's still working! I will start running it every morning like I was doing previously.

Roomba at work last night.

Here's what I had for a proothie today. Water. It's a Fast Day.


And here's what I had for lunch today. It's actually the same photo as for the proothie. Would you have known that if I didn't tell you? (Probably, since the handle is in the same orientation.) I can have as much water as I want on a fast day. Or any other day.


As I got ready to run my errands for today, I noticed that the Loi's were getting ready for a family gathering. I went over & told them they were welcome to come over & pick jabon for everyone who wanted any. I left the picker & ladder out for them to use before I left.

I picked up cheesecake from Otto Cake for the Fathers Day dinner tonight. I got a 6" Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake. I also stopped by Sconees Bakery to see if I could get mango or lilikoi bars but they were out of those as well as the guava bars. I guess you have to get there right when they open to get any of those.


While I was waiting to get in to Otto Cake (they have a 1 customer only policy), there was a flock of feral pigeons a couple doors down in the middle of the street in a feeding frenzy. Cars would come by and slow down to give the birds time to move aside. When they did, I saw a pigeon lying in the road; I couldn't tell if it was dead or just injured. I'm not sure if that was what they were initially going after since they are vegetarians (unlike chickens); perhaps there was some grain or other more pigeon-appropriate food in the street & this was an unlucky slow pigeon that got hit by an earlier car? Dunno.


I was wondering whether they had completed the work on the broken water main on H201, the Moanalua Freeway, which is my usual route to Curtis & Lori's house. When I 1st got on the freeway traffic was really moving and there wasn't much. Then I got to the Palama Street exit and everything came to a halt. It looked like all traffic to Moanalua Freeway was being closed off so I moved all the way over to the far right lane; I found out later I could have continued on in one lane of Moanalua but decided to just do the detour. 

On H1 at Palama Street exit where things started to slow down.
Near the fork for the 2 freeways; I'm in the lane that will stay on H1.
Work on Moanalua Freeway. (From C&C traffic cam)

As the guest of honor, Curtis had requested Popeye's chicken for dinner. So we had that plus some Chinese take out. Because I was so hungry I forgot to get a photo of the layout of the food. I only got a photo of my plate.


Henry was a house guest this weekend. Anita & Gordon had gone to Maui to spend time with Gordon's father for Fathers Day. Henry was very well behaved.


After dinner I gave Curtis a ride to the airport; he is on his way to Las Vegas. He says this is his 1st trip there in 16 months; the longest he has had between trips since the mid-90's. It took us about 6 minutes to get there from his house; usually it takes about 15 minutes. He'll be back next Friday.

After Curtis opened the card from the boys, we left for the airport.
At the departure lobby.
Trying to figure out exactly where to go to get out of the airport.

When I got home The Roommates, who had left before we did, said that when they returned Gordon had dropped off a box of malasadas for us in exchange for the jabon earlier today. He got them from a place called Holey Grail, it is a donut shop from Kauaʻi that claims to have made the original kalo donuts. There are now 2 Holey Grail outlets in Honolulu.


I subscribe to a health newsletter called Cultural Health Solutions: Optimal Health for All Cultures. Today Dr. Ron talked about his own recovery from a somewhat minor surgery; he had a benign nerve tumor removed from the top of his foot. He said he had to stay off that foot completely for 2 weeks and keep it elevated as much as possible. He likened the surgery & recovery to an accelerated look at what aging is like. I totally agree with him on that. At Maunalani it seemed that when a resident was no longer able to get out of bed & move around under their own power they seemed to deteriorate faster. 


In the newsletter Dr. Ron went on to share his personal lower body exercise regimen that he says helped him recover faster. Again, I agree with him about working to retain your mobility. I have always done lower body workouts because the activities I liked to do (biking & diving) were very dependent on lower body strength. I will now be adding some of Dr. Ron's exercises to my routine.


He also has a series of COVID-19 educational videos that I wish I had found sooner so I could share them with you. Here is the 1st in his COVIDEO Series.


The Aix weather app forecast rain through the early afternoon here; but as you saw in the plant shelf photos there was none, must some clouds at one point. After I got home from the airport it started drizzling but only lasted about 10 minutes then stopped. For Kapaʻau it forecast rain all day & judging by the CFHT webcam that might have happened, there were a lot of clouds there.

About 1 p.m. on Hawaiʻi Island.
About 5 p.m. in Honolulu.

There was an earthquake this morning near the Kermadec Islands in New Zealand. The magnitude 6.7 quake was 32 miles deep and did not generate a tsunami.


There were 69 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 37,353. There were 2 new deaths reported raising the death toll to 513; currently 653 cases are considered active. The seven-day average of new cases on Oʻahu is 23 with a 1.1% positivity rate. 


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e AJ & Tristan!

No comments:

Post a Comment