Thursday, June 17, 2021

Rats!

The rat exclusion inspection that was supposed to happen yesterday was done today. Brannon from Terminix found that there were no recent signs of rats in the attic or an obvious entry point when he looked in from the attic access door. 

Brannon checks for signs of rats.
The strings are attached to traps.

On his walk around the outside of the house Brannon did find one spot where the rats have been examining as an entry but he said there is no opening for them there. One of his recommendations was to trim the mango tree back; but we had discussed that already & would do so after mango season is pau. He said the power & phone lines running through the tree to the house was also a way for them to get to the house. He also recommended we pick up all the dropped fruit and put it in the green waste bin rather than the compost pile that is near the mailbox.

Mango branches over roof need to be removed. (Photo by Brannon)
Wires going through tree also allow the rats access the house. (Photo by Brannon)
Brown smudges by junction box are from rats. (Photo by Brannon)
Brannon said all fruit should be removed to green waste bin. (Photo by Brannon)

Keala wanted to go out in to the cat run while Brannon was here. When I unlocked the gate to let Brannon in I also blocked the cat door so none of the cats could get out in to the cat run while Brannon he was inspecting for access points. Keala kept an eye on him.

She did not like being interrupted.
She found the door blocked & didn't like it.
She had to keep an eye on the intruder in her cat run.

This morning I made the final fennel greens proothie from the previous CSA box. Tomorrow will be beet greens. I will be adding a new desiccant packet to control the amount of moisture in the container.

No moisture in the bottom!

This morning I filled out the questionnaire for Keala's veterinary visit this afternoon. I've filled out questionnaires for myself & Kai but never for any of my cats.


Brannon had a really cool extension ladder. He said he got it from City Mill. I will have to see about getting one and shipping it to Kohala. My current long ladder there is an old wooden one; it is so old, my grandfather may have been the one that built it. 

It collapses down to this.

Keala had her well kitty check up this afternoon. And yesterday I received an email with questions I needed to answer about her health. She's doing really well, including her weight. But she has a little gingivitis so I need to start brushing her teeth.

Keala gets taken upstairs for her vet check up.

And I have my annual physical tomorrow. And I received an email today about checking in today for the appointment tomorrow. At least I can rest assured that I am being given as much attention as the cat!


For dinner tonight I tried the Luau Stew from Makana Provisions; it is made with beef. I like the flavor but the pieces of meat were a little tough; I'm not sure but it might be made with the feral cattle on Molokaʻi. 


After everyone got home, I showed The Roommates what Brannon showed me earlier in the morning. DT said he thinks maybe the rats he heard were on the outside due to how S'mores was reacting and where she was looking when they heard the sounds. Which makes sense after finding there were no obvious entry points.

There was an earthquake this afternoon in the southwest rift zone of Kīlauea. No tsunami was generated by the magnitude 4.3 earthquake which occurred 21 miles below the surface.


There were 36 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 37,170. There were no new deaths reported, keeping the number of fatalities at 507; currently there are 694 cases considered active. There are now 1,627,801 doses of vaccine that have been administered; 56% of the total population has now been vaccinated and 61% have received at least 1 dose.


No comments:

Post a Comment