Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Five Years Ago Today

I moved back here permanently, 5 years ago today. All the cats had been moved in the preceding years, but Momo got out of the house about 12 hours before I arrived. I looked for him every day at the Humane Society in the 1st month, then backed off to the recommended once every 3 days; they would call me if he came in between those days. I tapered off to once a week after about a year, then once a month until his brother Shiro passed away from cancer in November 2018; 3 years to the day that they had moved to Hawaiʻi. I stopped searching for him; Momo had a thyroid condition that needed daily medication to keep him from losing weight. His veterinarian said it would be unlikely he could survive a year without medication. I had also posted flyers and went door to door, distributing about a total of 1000 flyers in a 3 block radius of the house. I met a lot of nice people and got several calls about orange cats but none of them was Momo. He was a very friendly cat; I hope he found someone who took him in & gave him the veterinary care that he needed.


I made a fennel proothie this morning. I have enough for one more proothie. Then I will move on to the things from Saturday's CSA box; starting 1st with the beet greens since they are don't last as long. Then I will move on to the next batch of fennel greens! I know I can also use radish & turnip greens but I don't like their flavor or texture.


I replaced the light in the hallway to my bedroom; it burnt out the other day. Tomorrow the rat exclusion technician from Terminix will be here to check for rats in the attic. The access to the attic is in that hallway. I also reorganized the things in the area below the access so the technician can set up a ladder under it.

Light from bathroom only.
Light!
Before.
After.

I have been intermittently looking at the rentals on Hawaiʻi Island. This morning I found one that was enticing; I sent it to Sarah & Evan. Sarah also thought it was a good deal, though I don't think she will be looking in to it since the rental date is July 1st. 


I got the final test results back from Kaiser this morning; it was the hemoglobin A1C. It was a little higher than my visit last year but was not unanticipated; I have not been eating well nor have I been exercising like I usually do.


The cats were all quite visible this afternoon. Keala was on the couch sleeping until I woke her up. Luna was sleeping in the carrier again. And S'mores was sleeping on top of DT's bed, not underneath like she usually does.

Keala.
Luna.
S'mores.

I have failed once again in the Education of The Roommates. Tonight The Potential Most Favorite Roommate asked me what a skillet was; the meal he bought for dinner said to pour the contents of the 2 pound bag into a 12" non-stick skillet & heat. He thought the griddle was a skillet so he was concerned about following the instructions. I'm glad he asked before "following" the directions!

The Aix weather app forecast a partly cloudy morning here for us; it was fairly accurate. And clouds with precipitation with no accumulation in Kapaʻau; I could see the clouds on the Canada-France-Hawaiʻi Telescope webcam but couldn't tell about the precipitation..

CFHT webcam, 12:53 p.m.
CFHT webcam, 3:51 p.m.

Carlos is still a tropical depression moving westward at about 9 mph. Sustained winds are about 35 mph but are expected to decrease overnight or tomorrow and dissipate within the next couple of days.


There were 37 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 37,104. There were no new deaths reported so the death toll remains at 506; currently 689 cases are considered active. The 7-day new case average for Oʻahu is 23 with a 1.0% positivity rate. Data provided by the state & federal vaccination programs says that 1,615,402 vaccine doses have been administered & more than 55% of the state population is now fully vaccinated.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Sherry & Christina!

No comments:

Post a Comment