Wednesday, June 16, 2021

View From the Office

Kai IMed me this morning, saying, "View from my office today." Deer are surprisingly unaware that humans in vehicles are still humans. They will look right at you in a stationery vehicle and not get spooked. You can even move your hands & talk to them without disturbing them.

(Photo by Kai)

I made another fennel proothie this morning; I am pleased that the fronds are nice and dry not damp like they usually are near the bottom of the container. It is a good thing it is dry since I have another day's worth of fennel greens to use! Their light, ferny appearance is deceiving; they fill up quite a bit of the Nutribullet container when I go to make my proothie.


A technician from Terminix was supposed to come by this morning to inspect the attic for rats. The service call was supposed to happen between 8 and 10 this morning; around 10:30 I called customer service to find out what time the technician was going to arrive. I was on the phone a little over 7 minutes when the automated voice said there was a longer than usual wait and to press "1" if I wanted a call back as soon as a customer service rep was available. I pressed "1"; they told me what number they would call back, it was correct. About 3 hours later, I still had not gotten a call back so I called again; I got someone almost immediately. She took a bunch of information, sent a text as well as an email to the service manager for the area. And then I waited. It is was about 2:45 before I got a response; almost 5 hours after the inspection was to have ended. I now have another service appointment tomorrow between 10 and noon. I sure hope they show up on time; I have a vet appointment for Keala in the afternoon.

During lunch I have been watching Lucifer. I enjoy the premise that the Devil got bored in Hell so he moved to Los Angeles where he owns a nightclub (in keeping with his persona) and is also a police consultant (also in keeping with his persona as a punisher). He is partnered with a female detective who is immune to his ability to have people tell him what there deepest desire is as well as causes him to become vulnerable to injuries & death when she is nearby. I also like that the Devil is in therapy with a psychoanalyst who thinks he is talking in metaphors when he complains about God & Hell. I enjoy the relationship that develops between the young child Trixie & Lucifer & his demon sidekick Mazikeen who both abhor children; Trixie does not pick up on their initial dislike & hugs them all & counts them as her friends. The initial character of Lucifer was created by Neil Gaiman, I enjoy his books about alternate reality so it is not surprising that I enjoy Lucifer. FYI I'm not binge watching, I usually only watch 1 episode a day.


I did not do very much today since I was waiting for the Terminix technician. I did not want to start anything that might get in the technician's way since the hallway is where I am organizing my packing to fill the Crosstrek for its July shipment to Hawaiʻi Island. I also wasn't able to leave the house since I did not know if the technician was just late, or after I made contact, if they were going to send one over as soon as they could since they messed up on their appointments. After the appointment was rescheduled for tomorrow, I took a nap; which is good self-care.

I'm not sure what he was going to put in the oven, but I saw that The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes was pre-heating the oven and he had the same baking sheet out that he had the other night when he set off the smoke alarm; I grabbed the box of parchment paper and set it on the sheet so he would not make the same mistake.


The Aix weather app forecast rain through the early afternoon but there was none here. It was hard to tell what was happening on Hawaiʻi Island.


As predicted, Carlos dissipated and there are no tropical cyclones expected in the Central Pacific region over the next 5 days. There is low pressure area near Mexico that has an 80% chance of becoming a tropical cyclone; if it does and it gets close to crossing over in to the Central Pacific I will begin making notes of it here.


They announced the winners of the 1st weekly drawing for prizes in the #HIgotvaccinated drawings. It wasn't me. They have added more prizes for future drawings as well as daily deals. It appears the incentives may be working as there was a 38% increase in vaccinations in the week since the incentives were announced; the 1st time in weeks that there has been in increase in vaccinations over the previous week.


There were 30 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 37,134. There was 1 new death reported bringing the death toll up to 507; currently there are 699 cases that are considered active. The latest vaccine summary indicates that 1,621,282 doses have been administered making more than 55% of the population fully vaccinated. The 7-day new case average on Oʻahu is 24 with a positivity rate of 1.1%.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Winifred, & Pete! A me ka Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanaʻo Makahiki ʻewalu e Brenda & Melanie!

No comments:

Post a Comment