Thursday, June 10, 2021

Nui ka Manakō!

The Potential Most Favorite Roommate helped me pick mangoes this evening. There were 22 of them; but only 20 of them are edible. About 8 of them were a little on the green side. I think I'll have a mango proothie on Saturday morning.


I made a fennel proothie this morning! I remembered to wash the fennel greens last night. I don't like to wash them & use them immediately since, even with putting them in the vegetable spinner, they hold a lot of water in the ferny fronds.


I did a quick freezer survey of what I have in the freezer. I thought I only had one shelf in the main freezer but found I had put things on the top shelf as well. My goal is to use everything up by the time I leave in January.

The main shelf, it's at my eye level.
The top shelf, it's above my eye level.

I now have 34 days before the Crosstrek will be shipped to Hawaiʻi Island; but this only gives me 26 days to get things sorted, wrapped, & packed into boxes so I can then pack the Crosstrek. I leave for Hawaiʻi Island a week before the car does. Today I took some measurements to see what can fit in to the car.

The filing cabinet is to replace 2 that were damaged by the movers.
This is what is available; things can be placed no higher than the lower edge of the windows.

One of the other tasks I was going to do is replace the anemic showerhead. But I forgot until it was time to take my shower so it will be added to tomorrow's list of things to do. 


For dinner I defrosted a forgotten piece of Atlantic salmon; I found it while I was taking stock of what I still had in the freezer.

There are 3 pieces here, so 2 more meals.
L to R: roasted fennel, Atlantic salmon, & roasted beets.

After dinner Dylan dropped by to pick up the canopy. He works at Wet ʻŌkole which is where I got the waterproof seat covers for the Outback. I will be ordering waterproof seat covers for the Crosstrek from them also; Dylan has volunteered to help me put them on when they come in.

Keala is the most sociable of all the cats, hence I post more pictures of her than the others. Here she is today snoozing & playing with the fish toy.

I was snoozing until you stuck that phone in my face...
Go away! Let me play in peace!

The Aix weather app showed rain in all 3 places for most of the day. It was pretty nice here & the photo from the Canada-France-Hawaiʻi Telescope webcam looked pretty nice on Haleakala as well as the northern parts of the island.


The State issued a report today on the COVID-19 variants they have found here. Obviously they can't do genetic sequencing on all 36,000+ samples collected & they can also only use PCR samples for the sequencing; thus a subsample of 1418 were sequenced. They also included 217 samples sequenced by the CDC. The variants have been grouped by the CDC as variants of interest, variants of concern, and variants of high consequence. They found 3 out of the 8 variants of interest, all 5 of the variants of concern, & none of the variants of high consequence; though one of the potential manifestations of this last group is they may be able to evade current diagnostic tests. Catch-22? Variants of concern are those you have been hearing about in the news that tend to be more highly transmissible than the original virus & most subsequent variants. So far, evidence has shown "that vaccination  leads to milder cases, not requiring hospitalization, for all the variants of concern and variants of interest that" have been found here. The data is presented in 2 week blocks; over time the occurrence of variants of interest and variants of concern has increased, especially for the variants of concern (you know, the more highly transmissible ones...). This is why public health officials are urging everyone who is eligible to get vaccinated.

Orange/brown is variants of concern; pink is variants of interest.
 

There were 62 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 36,793. There were no new deaths reported, keeping the death toll at 505; currently 698 cases are considered active. The 7-day average of new cases on Oʻahu is 25 with 0.9% positivity rate.


No comments:

Post a Comment