Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Another Terminix Visit

Mom had set up several different on-going contracts with Terminix to keep the house protected. Today it was Reid who came to do the outside inspection & spraying for termites. Now I need the rat exclusion team to come & see if the rats are in the attic space again. The Roommates have heard things at their end of the house & have observed the cats looking intently at the ceiling & following the sounds as something runs around above. We have an appointment next Wednesday.

 

I had a blueberry proothie this morning; I forgot to wash the fennel greens yesterday. You can't see them in the photo since I put them in 1st rather than last.


For lunch I ordered a pupusa and antioxidant tea from Juicy Brew. I ordered online. Via my laptop. That always works! It looks beautiful! But I was not impressed by the taste; it was rather bland. I ate 1 today; I will add Tajin to the next one.

There were 3 in here but I ate one before I took the photo.

I found a post for a rental in Hāwī this morning but I did not send it to Sarah & Evan. It was within their price range, $600 for a 1 bedroom. But it was for a 1 bedroom in a 70 square foot tiny house; a little tight for 2 adults and an active child. I lived in an 8' x 20' RV for over a year with a husband who had opposite work hours than I did and a cat. It was spacious compared to this tiny house. 


About 3 hours later I got a text from Sarah that included a link to the Waimea Guest House; she had contacted someone there about The Saddle Room. It looks the 1 bedroom unit with a full kitchen can also be rented by the month for $950; it is an 8 minute walk to Hawaiʻi Preparatory Academy. Here are some photos from their website.


Sarah also sent me information about Akua ʻAina and the possibility of them buying a tiny house on wheels and moving in to that; it would be about 30 square feet larger than the tiny house in Hāwī. I asked her if she wanted me to keep sending her links to possible rentals. She said, "Let's pause." Which is okay with me, that now free time will be immediately filled with packing boxes to load in to the Crosstrek before it gets shipped in 42 days & doing things to close up Dad's estate.


Yesterday I texted some of my fellow wetland biologist friends about the Hawaiʻi Wetland Field Guide. Today Irene sent me a recommendation for a book she is reading, Facing the Mountain: A True Story of Japanese American Heroes in World War II. I will have to check it out.


The Aix weather app forecast rain through the early afternoon here, then partly cloudy. It had a similar forecast for Kapaʻau except it would remain cloudy in the afternoon. It was wrong on both counts, there was no rain here and it did not appear there was rain on Hawaiʻi Island either.

On Mauna Kea at 9:30, looking towards the northwest.
Looks dry at Kīlauea, too.

You may have been hearing of other states also changing their restrictions based on the level of vaccinations. Hawaiʻi specifically will allow the number of people at indoor and outdoor gatherings to increase when 60% of the total population is vaccinated, not 60% of the people eligible for vaccines like some other states. Hawaiʻi's approach makes sense; The Herd Immunity model is based on the entire population not just those eligible for the vaccination since the entire population is susceptible to the disease. At the current rate of vaccination, it will be October when 70% of the entire population is vaccinated so we can drop all restrictions.


It looks like the LG has a new graphic on his Facebook page. It's related to the percent of residents that are vaccinated. It counts down how many more doses are needed for the State to reach 70% of the population being vaccinated. I'm not really sure how the doses are being counted since 2 of the EUA vaccines require 2 doses and the other just requires 1 dose.


There were 46 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 36,731. There were no new deaths reported so the number of fatalities remains 505; currently there are 700 cases considered to be active. The 7-day average new cases on Oʻahu is 27 with a 1.0% positivity rate.

This one was supposed to be inserted earlier in these graphics. Oh well.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Dr. Jean!

No comments:

Post a Comment