Thursday, October 11, 2018

C. rhacodes or C. molybdites?

I found a mushroom in Jimmy's parking strip during my morning walk! It is fairly young, the cap has not yet opened up. I was able to dig up the entire stalk and found it has no volva; which means it is not an Amanita species like I suspected at one time. So I am back to square 1 with no idea what it is. After an Internet search I also discovered there is no mycological society or mushroom club here; which is the best way to learn about mushrooms in a new area. And there is only 1 book on local mushrooms that was originally published in 2002; there is a 2016 paperback but I don't know if it is an updated edition or just a reprinting, in either case I will have to get one. So right now my guess is that it is either Chlorophyllum rhacodes or Chlorophyllum molybdites; a spore print would differentiate the two. The edible one has white spores, the other one that will make you sick (but not kill you outright unless you are allergic to it) has green spores. I will have to see if I can meet the owner of the other property where I have seen these type of mushrooms and get permission to dig up a couple of them & check them out, too.
The unknown mushroom.
Close-up of cap of mushroom.
Close-up of base of mushroom; note the lack of volva.
Unknown mushrooms in unknown person's lawn.

Once again the weather this morning was good for walking; the sun did not come out from behind the clouds until I was getting ready to do my cool down stretches. I walked with LaVie for part of my walk; she had already made 6 laps around Maunalani Circle and was on her way down to the park so we walked together. From there she went up Lurline but at a much faster pace than I wanted to; even though my ankle is feeling better I don't want to push it too fast. I also saw Kelly & Abby walking down Lurline; I walked with them for a short way while we talked about Maunalani.


Dad was in his wheelchair in the dining room when I arrived at Maunalani. He hadn't touched the solid food but was working on the supplements. We went to look for Popokilani after breakfast but couldn't find her so he wanted to go back to bed.

On my mid-morning walk I was pleasantly surprised to find another mushroom coming up in Jimmy's parking strip! I picked it about 3 hours after I picked the first one. It's condition is consistent with the 3 hour window. I really need to get that mushroom book!
Three-hour old mushroom.

When I returned from changing out of my sweaty clothes, I noticed a couple of pills on the floor on Mr. Yamada's side of the room. Later when RN Fred came in I asked him about those; he said they were Dad's potassium pills! Looks like Dad pulled a fast one on Fred; he thought Dad had swallowed them! Fred will try again later to get him to take his meds without spitting them out. (I really should take a photo when I see things like that because there's a 50% chance that it is something that Dad did!)

Lunch today was Furikake salmon, Steamed rice, Malibu blend veggies, Garden salad, Brownie, and Egg drop soup. I really like their furikake salmon; I should do that at home. Dad only ate aout 1/3 of the brownie and drank all his supplements.


I was contemplating walking past Jimmy's house again on my afternoon walk to see if there was another mushroom. I decided to wait until tomorrow morning so that I could find a more mature mushroom and possibly get a spore print off of it. I just walked down to the park and did a lap around the field. Then I met Jack; he is the owner of the place across the street from the park with the new native-looking landscaping. I'm glad I stuck to the regular route of going down to the park; I was able to find out more about the plants Jack has put in for his landscaping that I was wondering about.
Jack's new landscaping.

Happy Birthday to Alana! Happy 4th Anniversary to Kai-Chin & Percy!

No comments:

Post a Comment