Sunday, October 7, 2018

Happy (early) Birthday, Mrs. Iseri!

A couple days ago Mrs. Iseri told me to come to the 3rd floor nurses station at 9 a.m. today for banana lumpia; she didn't say there was anything special going on. At about 8 this morning when I went to sign in after my morning walk she was in the reception area with a few other residents, RN Ryan, and a bunch of food. CNA Kathy had made 2 types of pancit as well as banana lumpia! And it was an early celebration of Mrs. Iseri's birthday. Mrs. Iseri made me take a plate of food for Dad; he tried a bite of each but said it had no taste & didn't want any more. He only finished his supplements this morning.

Mrs. Iseri invited me to come back at 9 a.m. for manapua. I did; I will be lucky if I break even with my weight this week! I guess that's what happens when I say "Hi" & talk to the residents! And I have little self control when they offer me food; for their generation food was a way to show you cared about someone so I take the food when it is offered. Dad didn't care for the manapua either; he ate 1 bite & said that was enough.

Today is the start of the week that I am increasing to 3.8 miles per day; I have 19 more weeks to build up my ability to walk 8.2 miles for the Great Aloha Run. On my morning walk, I did the usual route that I have been doing for the morning: upper parking lot, around Maunalani Circle, down Sierra Drive to the park, once around the field, down Sierra Drive to Lurline, then up Lurline back to the upper parking lot; it is about 1.69 miles. I figured if I do that route but leave out the lap around the field it would be about 1.6 miles; then for my 3rd walk I would only need to walk from the lower parking lot to the park with a lap around the park and I should be able to get in my 3.8 miles a day. For today I actually did 4.0 miles.

On my morning walk I found a dead toad but it had not been hit by a car; at least it did not look like it had been. It was rather round; I decided not to examine it too closely in case that bloated look was due to putrefaction. Didn't want to get covered with exploded toad bits! (Though I think it would have been a humorous thing for you to read about!)


During my mid-morning walk I stopped to talk to Suzette; she lives near the driveway for the lower parking lot. I had seen her yesterday on Sierra Drive near Waialae! She said about once a week she walks down to Waialae then goes window shopping. And, of course, she has to walk back up the hill to get home! While we were talking Glenn came by with Cooper, who looks like a poodle cross. Cooper is deaf and Glenn is working with him to get rid of some bad habits he acquired with his previous owners; especially trying to chase cars. Glenn & Cooper live below the park across from the monster house at Lurline. I saw them walking down Lurline as I was walking up. I took a photo of this new house being built on Lurline near where we were; I haven't been able to see much of it due to all the big trucks. It looks like they have a great view to the east.


Lunch today was Beef stir fry, Brown rice, Tossed salad, Lemon meringue pie, and Split pea soup. Shirley, Mr. Yamada's daughter, brought an extra Spam musubi for Dad; she & her mother, and sometimes her husband, come every Sunday and bring lunch for Mr. Yamada. Dad wouldn't eat the Spam musubi; he was suspicious of the "black stuff" (the nori). I finished off the rest of the manapua, pancit, & banana lumpia as well as lunch. It's not going to be a pretty sight on weigh-in day!


I was awakened from my after lunch food coma by the sound of lots of water; the downspout is next to the windows and there was a lot of rain coming down off the roof. The rain helped cool things down; a nice breeze was blowing through the windows. It made my afternoon walk fairly pleasant.


During my cool down stretches I noticed a house across the way having a bunch of work being done. It looked like they were doing something with a deck, but I don't remember seeing a deck on that house before. Although it really could have been there since I am not really looking at the houses when I do my stretches; I tend to look out at the ocean.


I have been trying to get Shiro to eat more so about once an hour I go to wherever he is with his food and place it in front of him. If he likes the food he will eat a few bites then go back to sleep.
Yes, he is eating on my bed. No, I don't even eat in my bed!

Happy Birthday to cousin  Russell, Britta, & Kari! And Happy 23rd Anniversary to Andrea & Paul!

No comments:

Post a Comment