Saturday, October 20, 2018

Chibi Goes to the Vet

Again. She was just there in September for her geriatric check-up. Since last Friday she has been limping, favoring her left front paw. I tried to check but couldn't find any cut, puncture, or a foreign object. And she wasn't acting like anything was broken when I palpated it. Dr. Sylvester at The Cat Clinic couldn't find anything either, so Chibi will be on buprenorphine (Buprenex) for a week to ease the pain & help her heal whatever it is; if the limp doesn't go away it could be arthritis or something worse.


My plan this morning was to start my morning walk, which I did, and while walking call The Cat Clinic at 7 when they opened to get one of their same-day appointments. Unfortunately I forgot it was Saturday when they close at noon. But Lindsay said if I could bring Chibi in as soon as possible, Dr. Sylvester could look at her between appointments; so I turned around immediately & went to get Chibi; she was at The Cat Clinic by 7:30.
It would have been great weather for a walk and there was another sun dog.

After dropping Chibi off I headed back to Maunalani and decided to squeeze in a shorter walk for the morning; I use walking to relieve stress & I needed it with all that running around! I cut out the Maunalani Circle part of my usual morning walk for this week; I ended up doing 1.21 miles and was done by 8:22, about 20 minutes later than usual since I cut the cool down stretches a little shorter also. It was probably just a little hotter than the original walk would have been.


After my cool down stretches and changing my clothes, I was getting all my things unpacked in Dad's room when my phone rang. It was Leila from the Cat Clinic; Chibi was ready to be picked up! So I headed down the hill once more.

As I was on my way back in from dropping Chibi off at home, CNA Sam told me there was going to be Namaste massage in the salon this morning. When I got to Dad's room he was interested in getting a massage; CNAs Sharmaine & Nemie got him in the chair & I wheeled him up to the 3rd floor. As I approached the door to the salon, Sam caught up with me & told me they had to cancel Namaste because one of the staff called in sick after he talked with me. We changed our plans; I skipped my mid-morning walk & took Dad to the overlook by the Wellness building to enjoy the view. As I held the  umbrella to provide shade, Dad alternately looked out at the view or napped; I got to watch a brown anole posturing to protect his territory from an interloper, the resident male won by intimidating the interloper.


Lunch today was Chinese style steamed fish, Steamed Rice, Sesame garlic eggplant, Tossed salad, Almond float, and Egg drop soup. As I was finishing off my meal, Kristen, whose father is in the room across the hall from Dad talked to me. Her uncle had brought in a custard pie & she was sharing it; Dad loves custard pie so I got a piece for him. Then she put another on my plate for me; well I guess its okay since I did lose weight on this week's weigh-in and I didn't have dessert last night. Dad only ate 2 bites of the custard pie and none of his sandwich; he finished the supplements.
Today's lunch.
Custard pie!

For my afternoon walk I started from the upper parking lot, went down to the park, around the field, and back up to the lower parking lot. I spent 16 minutes and did a 0.73 mile walk for a total of 2.1 miles today.


This afternoon students from the Kapiolani Community College massage therapy program came to Maunalani to give residents gentle massage. Alexis worked on Dad's hands.


I had intended to do a 1.7 mile walk tonight after dinner in order to make my 3.8 mile daily goal. But I didn't; it's harder for me to get out and walk again after I've eaten and taken a shower; which is why I try to do it all while I'm up at Maunalani even if I have to walk at the hotter part of the day.

Happy Birthday to Tsi-Cy-Altsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment