Friday, October 19, 2018

Mushroom Education

During my morning walk I saw Gwen, Carly, & Kealani; this time Carly's son Joshua was also with them. And I finally remembered to take a photo! Joshua had some questions about the mushroom that I used for the spore print. We talked about how mushrooms are fruits, like apples, oranges, & peaches are all fruits, but each of them tastes different. So he might not like some mushrooms, but he might like others. I told him the most important thing to remember is that he shouldn't eat a wild mushroom if he doesn't know what it is.
L to R: Carly with Kealani, Gwen, & Joshua.

The sky was broken cloud cover when I started walking this morning. I was walking in both sun & shade throughout my walk. At the end of my cool down stretches there were beautiful mares' tail clouds in the sky.
Sky at the start of my walk.
Mares' tails, aka cirrus unicus clouds, at the end of my walk.

At my weigh-in this morning I found that I lost 0.4# over the last week! That's 6.4 ounces or about 0.9 ounces per day. In The Mathematics of Weight Loss, Ruben Meerman says he lost an average of 85 grams per day, which is about 2.9 ounces per day; my goal is about 1.1 ounces per day (= 1 pound per 2 weeks). At my current weight of 112.3# I have 33.1# of fat; I am trying to get rid of 22.3# of that fat to get down to my best training weight. At my current goal of 1.1 ounces/day it will take me about 11&1/2 months (early September 2019). At Ruben Meerman's rate of 2.9 ounces/day it will take me a little over 4 months (mid-February 2019, about the time of the Great Aloha Run). My actual weight loss will probably be somewhere in between; we'll see which one is closer to what I actually end up doing.

Dad was awake in bed with breakfast in front of him when I got to his room. As usual, he hadn't touched a thing. And as usual, he drank all his supplements.

My mid-morning walk seems to be my quietest walk of the day. There are less people walking about and I seem to find less things (like flattened invasives) on the ground. Today was no different.


Lunch today was Thai chicken with basil, Brown rice, Stir fry vegetable mix, Tossed salad, Coconut cake, and Cream of broccoli soup; I really like their Thai chicken with basil. Dad was willing to get in to the wheelchair and sit out on the lanai with me as I ate lunch. As I was taking a sip from my water bottle, I felt something drop on my leg; I thought it was water but it wasn't really cold like it should have been. Then it moved! It was a common house gecko; apparently one that likes to live dangerously, it had a regrown tail. It scurried off after realizing it had jumped on something that was not just part of the scenery.

The daredevil gecko.

The afternoon walk was under an overcast sky but it was still a little hot. Both Kolea were on the field but the 3rd one was nowhere to be seen. I saw several of the CNAs & nurses as they were driving in for their shifts; that's why the afternoon walk is lively. On the way to the park I saw a White-rumped Shama hanging out on some chairs that someone put out for bulk pick-up near Matsonia & Sierra. This is one of the 3 males that I have seen staking out different territories on my walks; there's one down at the park and another up by the trailhead for the Mau'umae Trail.
Afternoon sky.
White-rumped shama.

After I returned I went to see what the Veterans Club was doing this month, but they had a special speaker so it had been in the morning so I missed it. I watched the Hanafuda Club instead; the big winner was Lori, followed by Mrs. Chong, Mrs. Kunisaki, Mrs. Iwai, & Mrs. Pang. Curtis arrived a short while later and worked on cutting Dad's nails.


Happy Birthday to Alison, Jackie, Kiko, & Mary!

No comments:

Post a Comment