Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Leeward Drive In

Today we went to breakfast at Leeward Drive In; there are no photos of the building or the menu because my phone was acting up. We took the food back to Curtis' house because there were no tables available that were in the shade and Curtis was sweating just sitting still. Curtis had the Ultimate Breakfast Special which had 4 different types of meat and 3 eggs; he made a sandwich out of it. I had the Homemade Loco Moco.
Ultimate Breakfast.
Homemade Loco Moco.
Curtis with his Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich.

Yesterday Curtis texted me saying he wasn't going to be able to get to Maunalani; the plumber accidentally hit the incoming waterline while installing a grab bar. Today the plumber finished repairing the water line. But Curtis was still waiting for the installer to replace the tile that had to be removed.
Repaired water line.
New toilet paper holder with assist bar.
New flooring in the living room.

Dad was still asleep when I got up to Maunalani, it was just after 9 a.m. Later when I went to check for the Namaste massage, CNA Long brought in Dad's breakfast! Earlier I had thought Dad had been served his breakfast & it had already been taken away and only the supplements remained.

Since Dad fell asleep after CNA Long brought his breakfast to him I went for my mid-morning walk. I just went from the upper parking lot down to the park, around the field, then started up Lurline from Sierra, back to the upper parking lot. It was HOT! And it will be hot & humid at least through the end of the week; courtesy of Hurricane Walaka. I think I am getting used to the heat.

The menu said lunch today was Korean BBQ chicken, Brown rice, Sesame broccoli salad, Garden salad, Red velvet cake, and New England clam chowder. But there was no brown rice.


For my afternoon walk I just took a short walk from the lower parking lot down to the park, around the field and back up to the lower parking lot. There were a pair of Kolea on the field.

Kai's old Subaru now has a new-to-it front axle. It's not making any funny noises any more. Hopefully it will be good for a few more years; it is 26 years old.

Dad gets a banana with his breakfast every morning. He usually doesn't eat it but he always takes it back to his bed with him; sometimes he hides it under the covers. Every couple of days I bring the old bananas home; The Roommates have been making banana bread but since they were gone last week we now have a whole bunch of bananas! We Googled "banana recipes" and came up with a whole bunch of other options of what to do with the bananas.
The bananas are left for one day to be eaten fresh, then they are thrown in to the freezer.

Curtis gave us all of Pepper's old toys that were still new; Chibi has been enjoying playing with the toys. Shiro hasn't shown any interest in them, but he never played with toys much before.


Hurricane Walaka is about 65 miles northwest of Johnston Island and about 515 mile southwest of French Frigate Shoals, one of the islands in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. Its maximum sustained winds have slowed down to 130 mph, making it a Category 4 hurricane. There are a lot of seabirds that nest on these islands and the Papahanumokuakea Marine National Monument is also located here. Walaka may cause significant damage to the ecosystem; I wonder how many injured birds will end up at the Hawai'i Wildlife Center?
At 5 p.m.

Happy Birthday to Eleta!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kinuko, I just finished reading some of your recent posts. As for hiking shoes, I like the ones that are not high-tops; too many of my hiking boots have hurt my ankle bone. And if you're not used to wearing those heavier shoes, I would take it easy for a while. I have a friend who got sciatica from wearing Doc Martins!

    Pete and I make smoothies with our bananas and other fruit; really YUM!

    What's your address in Hawaii? I was thinking of writing Uncle a letter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been using high-tops since my ankle was injured back in g4ad school; I need the extra support. The problem appears to be the speed; when I slow down to 2.5 to 2.7 mph the ankle is fine.

      Yes, on smoothies! But we need to fix the blender before we can do that. It's got a hairline crack in the container, the last thing I made in it created a big mess. The vibration makes the liquid portions ooze out.

      Delete