Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Hoka One One

I took the plunge and wore the Hoka One One hiking boots today. I decided that I've walked long enough a distance with them indoors and my knee didn't hurt so I should be able to handle that tiny bit of instability in the left boot. I was right! My morning walk was 1.69 miles and my knee did fine! Can't say the same for my right ankle though; I'm not sure why but I did the 1st mile at 3.5 mph! So it was complaining; I slowed down considerably for the remainder of my walk and it felt better. When I say "complaining" I don't mean pain; the best description I have is that it feels "congested" or "swollen but not painful". I know if I push longer at that same fast pace it will become painful; so I back off. It appears that walking at around 2.5 or 2.6 mph is a good pace; my ankle doesn't hurt but I can get a good workout.
My new Hoka One One hiking boots.

During the first part of my morning walk on Maunalani Circle, I met a couple that were just coming off the Lanipo Trail with their dogs. They said they had gone up to the bench which is about a 0.7 mile round trip; they said it was an easy hike with a great view from there. I'll have to try that one of these days. Also on my morning walk I took a photo of the Tesla Powerwall installation at Antony's house but didn't see him this time. The batteries are in a sheltered area under the parking area.


Just before I returned to Maunalani I saw Kavita and thanked her for suggesting the walk on Lurline from Sierra; I asked her if she had any other suggestions. She said there were no others she knew of for the upper area that I walk; though she did also mention the hike out to the bench on the Lanipo Trail!

When I got there, Dad was in bed napping with his breakfast in front of him again. He had eaten about half the papaya but none of the rest of the breakfast; he finished the supplements. Later RN Fred got me a printout of Dad's Weight Summary; now I understand why Remy keeps saying that he is losing weight. Remy is looking at the "Warning" column which states that at each weigh-in Dad has had a -10.0% change in weight. However, this isn't really true because at each weigh-in the program is comparing that "current" weight to his weight on the very first day he was at Maunalani on March 17th when he was 141.0 lbs. That was about a month before he was sent to Kaiser with sepsis and was hardly eating for the 2 weeks that he was there. There was no weight shown for April 16th when he returned to Maunalani; the closest weight available is for May 5th when he was 121.8 lbs. If they are not going to compare to the weight for the previous month, they should at least be using the May 5th weight since that accounts for the 2 weeks of eating very little while in the Kaiser ICU. I'll have to talk to Remy about this.

Someone has been bringing in various plant parts and making flower arrangements for the front reception area at Maunalani. Today there was a tiny arrangement in a teacup by the sign-in sheet.

During my mid-morning walk I found a white cockroach at the park! It was crawling through the grass; I tried to get a good photo of it there but it wouldn't cooperate. So I picked it up and moved it to the landing for the stairs from the parking lot to the field. Apparently all cockroaches are white for a short while after they molt. And, no, I did not squash it after I was done photographing it. Like the young Common Myna, I will let Nature take its course with it being so visibly exposed to predators. On the way up Lurline I saw another mini-flood. This time I was able to get a photo of it as it was approaching me.
White roach.
Approaching mini-flood.

For the mid-morning walk I did 1.4 miles at an average speed of 2.6 mph; the first mile was at 2.7 mph, the remaining 0.4 miles was at 2.5 mph. When I finish a mile, the Samsung Health walking app that I use tells me the rate that I did the mile in so I can use that to help assess how fast I went and whether I should be going at a different pace for the remainder of that walk. I am interested to see what it will tell me when I do the full 8.2 miles during the Great Aloha Run.

Lunch today was Pork tofu, Steamed rice, Peas & carrots, Garden salad, Macaroon bar, and Chicken gumbo soup. Dad did not eat any of his sandwich and he only drank about half of his supplements; he was kinda grumpy today.


During my afternoon walk the Kolea surprised me. I initially only saw one down on the field. As I neared the end of my lap around the field I heard a Kolea calling as it was flying; it came zipping by me and landed on the top of the chain link fence near the end of my lap. I think they recognize me as a large being that doesn't attack them.

Today is DT's birthday, so Lori brought him in to town and Curtis picked up Brent & me; we met at Big City Diner to celebrate. I had already eaten dinner so I only went for dessert. Lori had the Calamari Tempura Strips, Curtis had the Hamburger Steak with Crispy Onions & Gravy, Brent had The Magic Mushroomburger, DT had the small size REally Loco, Loco Moco with Grandma's Incredible Kimchee Fried Rice, and I had the Spicy Ahi & Avocado Poke Bowl with Sriracha Aioli. DT & Brent had the Big Oreo Cookie Sundae; Lori had DT's complimentary Not So Big Oreo Cookie Sundae.
Calamari Tempura Strips. (Photo by Lori)
Hamburger Steak with Crispy Onions & Gravy. (Photo by Curtis)
The Magic Mushroomburger. (Photo by Brent)
Loco Moco. (Photo by DT)
Big Dessert.
Birthday Boy getting ready to blow out the candle.

Here's one of the presents that I gave The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes for his birthday. The other was a Seedsheet for growing salad vegetables.
The Eton Weather Radio & Portable Phone Charger.

Speaking of weather radio, Hurricane Walaka is now about 60 miles west of French Frigate Shoals and about 620 miles northwest of us. Walaka's winds have decreased to 125 mph making it a Category 3 storm. It is passing through the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument between French Frigate Shoals and Gardner Pinnacles.
At 8 p.m.

Happy Birthday to Michele & DT!

No comments:

Post a Comment