Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Kalapawai Cafe & Deli

I met Tricia this morning for brunch at Kalapawai Cafe & Deli; Tricia had the Breakfast Wrap & I had the Breakfast Slider along with a Bacon & Cheddar Scone & Poi Banana Bread.
Graphic from canvas shopping bag.


They also have baked goods.
Breakfast Wrap with avocado.
Breakfast Slider with egg.
Artwork at Kalapawai Cafe.

Tricia is the tattoo artist who did the recent tattoo on my left bicep. To see more of Tricia's work you can go to her website or her Facebook page; I sent a Friend request to her so I can keep up with her upcoming travels in the south Pacific. When Tricia does a tattoo she will do a touch up at about 6 months if needed & if you have taken proper care of your tattoo. I didn't think I needed a touch up & Tricia confirmed it was fine. So we just had brunch and spent time talking. We'll be getting together again in December after she returns from the Holland America cruises where she will be providing one of the Explorations Central's educational programs; Tricia has a masters degree in Anthropology where she was studying Marquesan tattoos. Some day when I have more free time I would like to do one of these cruises.

Amanda, who was running the cash register, has tattoos. She was not happy with one of them; she and Tricia will be getting together so Tricia can repair & complete the tattoo. I think we were meant to come here today so that they could make this connection! (I just realized I need to take photos of Tricia & her tattoos! Note to Tricia: remind me the next time we get together!)
The good part of Amanda's tattoo.
The portion Tricia will work on for Amanda.

Before I went to brunch with Tricia I did my morning walk; the weather was great for walking! It began drizzling about a block from the end of my walk; it was very refreshing. By the time I finished my cool down stretches it was pouring. One thing I learned when I lived in western Washington was tricks to dry off quickly; like running the vehicle air conditioning on high with the temperature turned up to hot. The heat turns the water into vapor & the A/C sucks the vapor out of the air. Voila! Dry clothes & hair! Since my drive back home is so short I was still a little damp but much drier than when I first got in the car.
Good walking weather!
Drizzly weather at the end of my walk.
Rainwater beading up on my UPF shirt with DWR.

On the morning walk I discovered I had "rescued" that Cuban oregano sprig in a timely manner. The rest of the shrub has now been weed whacked back to the edge of the retaining wall; it looks like nearly all of it is gone now. I grabbed a bit of the mature cotton so I can get some seeds before it also gets cut back.
Most of the Cuban oregano is on the ground.

I have revised my thoughts on what is happening to the"roadkilled" geckos and anoles. On one of my walks yesterday I saw a Kolea in the distance doing a strange thing; it looked like it was throwing something down on the lawn & briefly it also did it on the edge of the pavement, I couldn't see what it was. Then today I found a brown anole dead on the lawn and a house gecko dead at the edge of the pavement; neither of them was flattened but they did have unusual marks on them. I think perhaps the Kolea are catching them, then beating them in to submission before eating them. And sometimes the Kolea are frightened off of their kills by people or cars and the unfortunate reptile ends up getting flattened by a car & that's the "roadkill" that I am seeing; this makes more sense than them just getting hit by cars. But this only applies to geckos and anoles, not toads; Kolea are too small to handle a toad.
Dead brown anole.
Dead common house gecko.

I was going to hang the laundry out after I returned from my morning walk, but it was drizzling & didn't look like it would let up any time soon. So I put the sheets & towels into the dryer; I hung the UPF tops, my socks, and the cooling towel in the laundry room since they are made with synthetics that dry relatively fast. Everything was dry when I got back from brunch.

On my way back from brunch I stopped at Petco; I needed to return the 2 cans of limited ingredient turkey cat food that neither Shiro nor Chibi liked and get more canned cat food for them. I got one can or pouch of each of the grain-free ones that was on sale; there's 37 of them which will last about 26 days if they really like it. I also picked up 2 wide, shallow bowls; one to replace the narrow, deep bowl that I was using for Chibi and a 2nd one for Shiro to hold the freeze dried chicken bits that he likes so they are available whenever he wants them. The wide, shallow bowls don't put pressure on a cat's whiskers; if a cat is annoyed by the sensation of pressure on its whiskers it will eat less or not at all.
I didn't pick up any of these on the first batch of canned cat food.

I was a little late for my mid-morning walk because of stopping for the cat food; it was more like a lunch time walk so I skipped the Maunalani Circle portion due to the heat & do a lap at the park instead. I met Ryan and his toddler sons Skylar & Parker at the park; the boys were wearing Seahawks-themed shirts so I stopped to chat with them. It turns out they moved to the area a few weeks ago from Puyallup and are just settling in. Since the boys are so young they were sticking close to the parking lot and the Kolea weren't bothered by them at all. Back at Maunalani I met Susan, Rei, & Gwen; they were taking photos of the view and asked me to take a photo of the 3 of them together. Rei is visiting from Japan so they were showing her the sights.

When I got back home, The Potential Most Favorite Roommate's friends Jan, Gus, & Gav were at the house cleaning up the yard; they have a landscaping business. We are going to have them come by once a month to keep things looking good and also helping with small projects.

While putting the laundry away and getting Shiro's food sorted out, I misplaced my reading glasses. Searching for them made me late getting up to Maunalani to relieve Curtis. It also made my afternoon walk late but the Kolea didn't mind. Since I had to cut the mid-morning walk short, I tried to lengthen the afternoon walk to make up for it; I wandered around the lower parking lot to increase my mileage. I was successful & ended up doing 3.78 miles today.
I started from the upper parking lot & ended at the lower parking lot.

Dad was resisting when CNAs Angie & Phillipa tried to get him out of bed for his bath this afternoon. We worked together & after much talking we convinced him it would be really nice to have a bath today! As usual, he felt much better after his bath! Dad stayed up for an unusually long time after his bath and he started asking for food. Since dinner would not arrive for another hour I offered him one of the quarter-sized chocolate chip cookies that Mrs. Iseri sent me back with from her early birthday party; he ate 2 of them! When his real dinner arrived he wouldn't eat it; I guess I spoiled his dinner by letting him eat cookies!

The Potential Most Favorite Roommate made larb for dinner tonight.Well, actually, he made 2 types of larb; one with turkey and one with pork. Both were good!
L to R: pork larb, turkey larb.

Just had to repost this from Facebook. I think this is something that Kai would like to make when he completes the machining program that he is interested in.

Happy Birthday to Sufayatu!

No comments:

Post a Comment