Friday, November 16, 2018

Another Great Day for Walking

The weather was wonderfully overcast during my morning walk and there was a nice breeze, too. I saw Kavita & Suzette also walking and Kelly, or possibly Dan, drove by. I am thinking it is more likely Kelly, since although Dan does start work early it would be really early for Dan to be running out to do errands for Maunalani.


There is a succulent that is starting to flower up on Maunalani Circle. I think I will have to see the flower spike to be able to identify it; I think it is a type of agave.


Yesterday as I was leaving I found out that CNA Chin will be running the Great Aloha Run. She has apparently been doing it for a number of years; more power to her! I'm still just walking, running is too much work!

Dad was in bed having breakfast; he only ate 1 bite of French toast and all his supplements. RN Sarah came by & shared a photo with Dad of one of the times when she went fishing; she caught 2 vermilion rockfish on one pole off of Santa Cruz. Sarah spent part of her youth in western Washington, just north of where Kai was born & raised. Her younger brother was born at Cascade Valley Hospital where Kai was also born. Small world!
RN Sarah with her 2 vermilion rockfish (Sebastes miniatus). (Photographer unknown)
The catch for the day. (Photographer unknown)

Dad went to the Namaste massage this morning. He really likes the massage, unfortunately he can't remember that he likes it so we have to convince him every time that he will like it.

During my mid-morning walk I watched Tui on the backhoe moving one of those huge metal plates they put over cuts in the road. He was placing a plate in preparation for work that would be happening today; he put it down right next to the previous plate with hardly any space between the two. It was like he was using his hands to place it!


The mock orange hedges around the neighborhood are all in full bloom; it is wonderfully fragrant during my walks.
Mock orange (Murraya paniculata).

While I was doing my cool down stretches it began to mist, then it turned in to a drizzle, and finally worked its way up to a real rain. It makes it impossible to see Moloka'i, Lana'i, and Maui but it is refreshing.
Misting.
Drizzling.
Raining.

Lunch today was Chili with beans, Steamed rice, Coleslaw, Tossed salad, Cornbread, and Broccoli cheese soup. Dad didn't want the cornbread, he only drank the supplements.


The weather was still wonderfully cool during my afternoon walk; it was also dry.


I realized today that Mr. Not Buttercups was getting the mail from the box for the secondary unit so he is probably a renter & would have absolutely no interest in the plant I asked him about. I need to make contact with the person in the main residence. I took a closer look at the flower in question; I am pretty sure it is a type of iris. I can find 3 falls and 3 structures that look like modified standards, creating one of the 'flat' irises. Now I just have to figure out which one it is. Except for its color, it could be a variety of Japanese Iris (Iris ensata).


At my weigh-in this morning I found that I had lost 0.2 pounds over the last week so I am now 111.7 pounds. I estimate I am now at about 19.4% body fat. Since I started this on December 29th last year, the lowest I have been is 110.9 pounds; that was on August 31st or about 10 weeks ago. The 2 off-island trips I took since then have thwarted my progress because I tend to Eat More + Move Less + Breathe = weight gain!

Shiro's ashes are ready to be picked up; The Cat Clinic arranges for the cremation and other details. I know a glass blower who will take some of the ashes & incorporate them in to a paperweight; his name will be engraved on it. My friend CJ has her cats' ashes next to her fireplace where her cats liked to hang out.
CJ's cats on the hearth. (Photo by CJ)

This afternoon we also received a flower arrangement from Dr. Sylvester and The Cat Clinic. They are such great people; they really understand cats & the people who love them.


Happy 2nd Birthday to Kaia! Happy Birthday also to Linda & Lopaka!

No comments:

Post a Comment