Thursday, November 1, 2018

Dinner with Gladys & Minoru

One of the requests made when we started on this journey for Aunty Daisy to visit Kohala, was to see if we could get her together with her friend Gladys from Halawa Camp. As it turns out, Gladys & her husband Minoru came over for dinner with us tonight, along with Arlene. Jessie was unable to join us at all and Lem and Joy came a little later. Aunty Daisy & Gladys had a great time visiting; I also enjoyed meeting Gladys & Minoru. I hope I get to host another gathering like this for Aunty Daisy.
L to R: Arlene, Scott, Wakana, Aunty Daisy, Gladys, & Minoru.
L to R: Aunty Daisy, Gladys, Minoru, Arlene, Scott, & Wakana.
L to R, sitting: Wakana, Aunty Daisy, & Gladys; standing: Scott, Arlene, Joy, Minoru, Lem.

We started out the morning by sampling lemonade Wakana made with Meyer lemons from our tree and some Kohala honey that she picked up at Takata Store. It was very good; I will have to remember this and make it part of my routine when the Meyer lemons are in season.  

We went to the ohaka (cemetery) to put flowers and senko (incense) at the graves of Aunty Daisy's parents (my grandparents) and her grandparents (my great-grandparents). I am glad I was able to help her do that. We took flowers from Grandma's garden for the graves. Later Aunty Daisy, Scott, and Wakana walked around the grounds of the church. Hopefully they will be able to come back for an Obon some time soon.
Wakana putting senko at Baban & Jichan's grave.
Grandma & Grandpa's grave.
Baban & Jichan's grave.
Scott & Wakana check out the bon odori tower under Aunty Daisy's watchful gaze.

I then took them on a quick trip out to Pololu Valley at the end of the 'Akoni Pule Highway. Aunty Daisy wanted to go down a little ways on the trail so Scott took her down while Wakana and I talked about the plants at the upper portion of the trail.
Aunty Daisy & Scott head down to the first switchback.
The mouth of Pololu Valley.
Looking up the valley.
Dear Tourist, please don't just park in the middle of the road so you don't have to walk as far to see the view.
Shell ginger (Alpinia zerumbet) grows along the road opposite of the parking area.

We also stopped at Keokea Beach Park, I was hoping it would trigger some memories for Aunty Daisy. It didn't, but she did enjoy it.
Scott at the protected swimming area.
Aunty Daisy watching Scott down by the water.
Aunty Daisy contemplating climbing the tree to get a coconut.

On the way back Alexis called, wanting to know if I could transport a bird from Feather & Fur to the Honolulu airport for Hawai'i Wildlife Center. I told her I couldn't but that I would see her in a couple of minutes since I was near their driveway & had some pet beds for them! We had a great time talking with her about some of the birds that were there but we also got some sad news. Walden, Patrick's dog who had cancer, died yesterday. Doubly sad news, Jessie's dog Pono died 2 weeks ago. Both were about 13 or 14 years old.

Then we raced off to get lunch from Minnie's to take to Uncle Kazu. We had a great lunch with him, followed by the usual ice cream from King's View Cafe. Later Scott & Wakana took a walk around Kapa'au while Aunty Daisy and I continued to visit with Uncle Kazu. We met up with Scott & Wakana at L & L Barbecue, where we ordered the dinners for tonight.
Aunty Daisy & Uncle Kazu.

This evening there was a great view of Maui from the living room windows. I am glad that I had the junipers removed so that the Meyer Lemon and calamansi could get more sun.
Maui as seen from the living room window.

No comments:

Post a Comment