Saturday, November 24, 2018

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Today is Dad's 94th birthday; he doesn't believe me. He thinks he's 21. Which is consistent with him thinking that he is in California where he spent time recuperating in hospitals in San Francisco & Palm Springs. RNs Sierra & Marie, CNA Frances, & I sang Happy Birthday to him in the morning and CNA Susie gave him a paper lei. He slept for most of the day.

I was a little late starting my morning walk today. Consequently it was a little hotter than normal but I did get to see the moon; yesterday there were too many clouds for me to see it. And up on Lurline, I saw some mushrooms, I'm pretty sure they are Chlorophyllum molybdites; I'll check to see if their gills are green tomorrow. Of the regulars, I only saw Kelly driving by; the sun was at the right angle so I could tell it was him. The flattened birds were still there but they really haven't changed from yesterday so no new photos.
Sunrise at the start of my walk.
Moonset, also at the start of my walk.
On Sierra, looking easterly.
I'm pretty sure these are Chlorophyllum molybdites.

Dad was in bed awake and staring at breakfast again. He had not touched a thing or drank any of his supplements. CNA Frances came in & wished him a Happy Birthday, he was surprised it was his birthday.

The mid-morning walk was a little warm. I got to see Duke again at the park; he's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel that I met a couple months ago when he made a break for the open gate when a worker was taking some green waste out to the bin; I walked Duke back home.


Lunch today was Chinese style steamed fish, Steamed rice, Sesame garlic eggplant, Tossed salad, Almond float, and Egg drop soup. We sat on the lanai for lunch where Dad was entertained by a Monarch Butterfly & Gold Dust Day Gecko; he only drank his supplements.

Female Monarch Butterfly (Danaus plexippus) on bougainvillea (Bougainvillea x buttiana).
Gold Dust Day Gecko (Phelsuma laticauda) checking out Dad's foot.

I skipped the afternoon walk since Dad had visitors. I decided I could walk later at night. In the meanwhile, The Roommates, Kai, Tani, Nikki, & I went to the Hawai'i Cat Cafe after dinner tonight for Cats Against Humanity Game Night. Since their parking lot is tiny and, according to Google Maps, we are only a 12 minute walk away, we decided to walk. We played Exploding Kittens and Unstable Unicorns and were thoroughly distracted by cats, especially Kris Jenner who decided that she wanted to lie on the game table! And since we walked down, we had to walk back; it was a 1.46 mile roundtrip.
Even though it was all downhill it took us a little longer because we had a smoker & a geek with us.
Looking through the window at the cat room; how many cats can you see here?
The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes & Nikki in the cat room.
Party Pueo checks out the baked goods for purchase.
Party Pueo approves of the cat decor.
Party Pueo snuggles up to a sleeping kitty.
Perched on the Hawai'i Cat Cafe sign.
L to R: Nikki, Tani, & Kris Jenner.
Fiesta plays with Party Pueo.
This is the 1st game we played. I can't remember who won.
We didn't have a chance to finish this game but all agreed that Tani was winning when we had to stop.
That little squiggle near the beginning is a stop at Rainbow Drive-In.

Cat concierge & barista Hannah had a nice tattoo.

After a brief pit stop at the house, Kai & I walked to the freeway and back for an additional 0.86 miles, giving me a daily total of 5.57 miles.


We stopped to check out the mushrooms we saw last night; they are definitely not shaggy manes. I highly suspect they are Chlorophyllum molybdites; but I collected one to do a spore print to be absolutely sure.


I'm not sure if I am going to survive sitting at Maunalani for the next 31 days. They are playing Christmas music almost constantly via the radio. It wouldn't be as bad if there were lesser known songs being played between the standard Christmas songs; I don't know how many times I can listen to Frosty the Snowman!

Happy Birthday also to Leilani!

No comments:

Post a Comment