Wednesday, November 14, 2018

No Trades Today

The tradewinds have died down; the forecast is for them to return by the weekend. During my morning walk the intersection of Sierra & Wilhelmina by the park was the only portion with any breeze at all; the rest of the walk was humid. I couldn't walk around the field this morning; it was being mowed. Dawn, Chloe, & Coco were at the far end of the park on the basketball court.


Dad was up in his wheelchair eating in the Orchid Dining Room. He had barely picked at the scrambled eggs and papaya but had finished the supplements. He wanted to go upstairs to see Popokilani.


During my mid-morning walk I skipped the field again; there was a guy practicing his casting for fly fishing so he needed a lot of the field to do that. It was again very still & humid except for that same stretch by the Sierra & Wilhelmina intersection. I tried to walk in what little shade was available during mid-morning.

Lunch today was Honey ginger glazed chicken, Steamed rice, Pacific blend vegetables, Tossed salad, Layered cake, and French onion soup. I like their French onion soup and their chocolate cake is good, too! I was able to get Dad to sit out on the lanai with me for lunch today. He ate about half of the chocolate cake.


Nursing Supervisor Remy told me today that they are going to weigh Dad tomorrow also; that will be 3 days in a row. She could not believe Dad was gaining weight with only the supplements; he was 133 pounds on November 3rd which was an increase of about 7 or 8 pounds since the beginning of October. So she had Dad weighed yesterday & he was 136 pounds; this morning he was 139. We'll see what he is tomorrow. The dietary notes apparently say he is only getting the Breeze at dinner. I told Remy that he usually drinks 1 box each of the Boost Plus (360 calories) and Boost Breeze (250 calories) at each meal, which is a total of 1,830 calories per day for a person who is not doing anything. Dad's resting energy expenditure (REE) with his weight at 136 pounds is 1,496 calories or 334 calories less than what he is getting. It is likely this intake of calories plus eating the desserts is what is making him gain weight.

One of the things I discovered while trying to find out how many calories Dad is burning, is that your REE increases when you exercise regularly for at least 3 days a week and that REE accounts for 60% to 75% of the calories burned each day. Winner!

There was a high overcast during my afternoon walk which made it cooler than usual. I found another roadkilled Jackson's chameleon. It was down on Lurline, probably about 1/2 mile from where I found the other Jackson's chameleon. This one was also a male.

Male Jackson's chameleon (Trioceros jacksonii).

Shiro was resting quietly in the bathroom when I got home. He was more active & stronger than he had been the previous 2 evenings. His bowel & bladder functions were normal, but he is still weak. I have asked to talk to the vet tomorrow during Shiro's chemo treatment appointment to see whether giving Shiro a transfusion will be helpful for him.

Last night there was a very short piece on the news about the O'ahu Seabird Aid project. They used footage from last year because there was only 1 release this year and there was no media there for it. I am pretty sure the person silhouetted in the opening clip is Kasondra.
Just before this she was in profile so that's how I could tell it was Kasondra.


Tani and Nikki stopped by in the early evening; they only had 1 young chick that needs to be flown to the Big Island tomorrow morning and about 3 hours before Rae from Hawai'i Wildlife Center would be landing. We had a great time talking about a bunch of different things. I also gave them the avocado and some oranges from Dad's little navel orange tree.

After Tani & Nikki left I went to look for Chibi, it wasn't unusual that she wouldn't be around while they were here. I couldn't find her anywhere. It turns out she was hiding in the middle bedroom so she was trapped in there overnight. She didn't respond immediately, I think she thought Tani & Nikki might still be here. She finally came out & was very hungry & thirsty.


Happy Birthday to Ken, Mim, & Vener!

No comments:

Post a Comment