Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Kountry Style Kitchen

We went to breakfast this morning at Kountry Style Kitchen (aka Kountry Kitchen); it's one of Curtis' Top 10 breakfast places. It was one of the early ones that we visited in 2017. Curtis had his usual Polynesian Omelet, Kai had the Ube French Toast, and I had the Kaua'i Benedict. The Polynesian Omelet has kim chee, Portuguese sausage, onions, & cheese. The Ube French Toast is made with ube sweet bread topped with coconut curls; Kai requested real maple syrup to go with it. Besides the poached egg & Hollandaise sauce, the Kaua'i Benedict was made with Hawaiian sweet bread, kalua pig, & lomilomi salmon. Apparently the restaurant started on Kaua'i in 1975 and the O'ahu location opened in 2015.


Polynesian Omelet. (Photo by Curtis)
Ube French Toast (Photo by Kai)
Kaua'i Benedict with pineapple.

On the way back Kai & I stopped to pick up a single-cup coffee filter for him but The Compleat Kitchen at Kahala Mall wasn't going to be open for another hour. So I dropped him off at the house and went up to Maunalani to do my mid-morning walk; I didn't see any of the regulars except Tui. The road was so torn up I should have gone up Lurline to avoid the area; I'll have to remember that the next time I have to come up in the middle of the day.


Dad was sleeping when I got to Maunalani; I couldn't tell how much of the solids he ate but it looked like he finished 1/2 of his  supplements.

Lunch today was Meat jun, Steamed rice, Pacific blend vegetables, Tossed salad, and Lemon bar. Dad ate all of his peanut butter & jelly sandwich and drank all his supplements but ate none of the dessert.


My afternoon walk was under partially cloudy skies, which made it reasonably cool. There was also a cool breeze for most of my walk. While I was coming up Lurline I saw a nice stained glass piece set into a wooden gate; this is the first time I had seen it since the van that is usually parked in front of it was gone today.



Kai came to visit Dad in the afternoon; he brought some Portlock smoked sockeye salmon for the 2nd floor staff. He also visited with Mrs. Iseri; he brought her some Seattle Chocolates for omiyage.
Dad & Kai.
Kai giving smoked salmon omiyage to Grace for the 2nd floor staff.
Kai with Mrs. Iseri.

Kai & I went to Kahala Mall after we left Maunalani to pick up a Bodum Pour Over single cup coffee filter for him from Compleat Kitchen. While there I also got 2 nice big cookie sheets so I wouldn't have to wait for one to cool before I could do the 2nd dozen cookies. I also picked up an Oxo ergonomically correct ice cream scoop for the Kohala house; we won't have to wait for the ice cream to thaw out before we can scoop it. We decided to eat dinner there; we went to Grylt. Kai had the Grilled Angus Steak Wrap with Kim Chee; I had the Grilled Ahi Wrap.
Party Pueo checking out Kai's new single cup coffee filter.
New cookie sheets & ice cream scoop.
That's Felicia behind the counter making our wraps.
Grilled Ahi Wrap. I need to ask them to hold the wasabi aioli next time.
Grilled Angus Steak Wrap with Kim Chee.
Kai with his steak & kim chee wrap & Party Pueo.

There was no post yesterday; I got up with a sore throat & bad headache so I just went back to sleep after gargling with salt water. Later I got up and did a load of laundry. The sore throat wasn't really bad, but it was what Curtis & I call nursing-home-sick, where you're not so sick you wouldn't go to work, but too 'sick' to expose kupuna with compromised immune systems to whatever you might have. I think the headache was because my neck was very stiff from falling asleep in the chair at Maunalani. Even though I had to get up an hour earlier to go to breakfast, I felt much better when I woke up this morning.

For much of yesterday and last night S'mores was loose & running around the house. A couple times she climbed up on the couch where Chibi was dozing in the evening and got hissed at. But for most of the day Chibi apparently stayed out in the cat run as she usually does and S'mores couldn't get out there because she's not strong enough to push the cat door open.

Happy Birthday to Patrick & Stacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment